Question 7, Post 2

First, I have to say that I loved the conversation between Jacques and David. I loved how insightful,relevant, universal and honest the conversation Jacques was having with David. I mostly loved that the conversation they were having can be intertwined to many different situations and applies to many different individuals,not just homosexuals. Jacques is trying to tell David that he needs to finally be honest with himself and others, like Hella, about the truth that he is gay, and start to accept it and enjoy it.

Jacques tries to tell David that he was his age once and has went through what he is experiencing, and instead of running from who he is and being ashamed of it he should be honest with him. He tells him that he’s “play it safe long enough”(57), and it is time to finally take a risk and allow himself to be loved the way he wants to be instead of being ashamed and disgusted with it. The theme of safety and risk is illuminated through Jacques telling David that he has played it safe by pretending to be straight and hiding his attraction to men, because he is afraid of the risk of exposing himself and accepting that he is gay. When Jacques says,”your father or mine, should have told us that many people have ever died of love. But multitudes have perished, and are perishing every hour-and in the oddest places!-for the lack of it”(58) really explains that Jacques thinks(probably knows) that David isn’t allowing himself to be loved because he isn’t being honest with himself.

I think this theme is universal because it is relevant every  human being in general. Individuals are afraid to be loved and the risk of revealing yourself and allowing yourself to vulnerable to another human being. They rather hidden and safe than risk showing themselves. The same thing can be said about individulas who rather “play it safe” by blending in with the norm of society than risk standing out by being an outsider, just like David is doing. I think this part of the novel foreshadows the imminent and inevitable  relationship between David and Giovanni and the end of David’s relationship with Hella.

This entry was posted in Blog Post 2. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to Question 7, Post 2

1. Very nice reflection, Shashe! I agree that Baldwin is attempting to make a more universal claim about love and risk. Although Jacques is talking to David about being gay, I believe his point is about love in general. Also, like we discussed in class, the “safety” that David tries to maintain ends up damaging both himself and those around him. That unexpected consequence is a kind of dramatic irony!