Kelly Laurent

My name is Kelly Laurent; I am seventeen years old and was born and raised in East New York, Brooklyn. From a young age I wanted to become a doctor. In high school I joined a SUNY Downstate program and took medical classes I had hands on experience, which was exciting and listened to hour long lectures, the boring part. Many doctors have talked to me about being in the medical field they told me that being in the medical field is good but it’s more about going to lectures than helping the patients. Although being a doctor means getting paid a lot I don’t want to spend my whole life in college and doing something that doesn’t focus on what I want, to help people hands on.  In high school I started to become more interested in cooking and watched cooking shows, slowly the medical shows and my medical interest faded. I am majoring in hospitality management to become a hotel manager, an event planner and learn a little about pastries. In the future I’ll love to travel and look forward to the challenges and fun the future holds.

One Response to Kelly Laurent

1. What an interesting path, Kelly! I never thought about it before, but you make it clear that there are many similarities between becoming a doctor and going into hospitality management. I’m glad you found a career path that you are excited about!

Prof. Westengard