Learning self analysis

In my learning experience at NYCCT I have learned that I best understand the objectives with a mixture of visual and hands on. Because of clinicals that complimented the courses taken I have been able to take part and gain knowledge that I can bring forth in to my nursing career. Learning and reading to later on practicing has shaped me and allowed me to grow into being a better nurse. I have encountered many wise professors, who were able to enlighten me and help my skills to grow. With the added knowledge provided to me through the Bachelors courses provided by NYCCT I feel more equipped and prepared to go and be a nurse advocate, to lead, and to the needed aid to the community at hand.

Here below is a chart that explains my learning preference as well as a little summary of an assignment provided to me to accomplish in regards to article Bridging the Generation Gaps and critical thinking.

Learning Styles Results

Results for: Vanessa Ismael

ACT          X                                        REF

11  9   7   5   3   1   1   3   5   7   9   11

<– –>

SEN                      X                            INT

<– –>

VIS                  X                                VRB

<– –>

SEQ              X                                    GLO

<– –>

• If your score on a scale is 1-3, you are fairly well balanced on the two dimensions of that scale.
  • If your score on a scale is 5-7, you have a moderate preference for one dimension of the scale and will learn more easily in a teaching environment which favors that dimension.
  • If your score on a scale is 9-11, you have a very strong preference for one dimension of the scale. You may have real difficulty learning in an environment which does not support

1. A.    Based on this assessment tool, as shown on the scale above, my dominant learning style is active, moderately sequential, balanced between visual and verbal, as well as sensible and intuitive.
Calm
Response when issues/conflicts first arise.
Storm
Response after the issues/conflicts have been unresolved an have grown in intensity.

Score

Style

10

Accommodating

9

Collaborating

9

Compromising

80

Avoiding

8

Forcing

Score

Style

12

Collaborating

11

Compromising

10

Forcing

8

Accommodating

7

Avoiding
  1. B.     Based on this exploration of information, when faced with conflict, I am most apt to accommodate when conflicts first arise and collaborate after the conflict has been unresolved. My back up is to compromise. I am willing to hear on the other points of views and find ways for each party to be equally satisfied with the decision made. To prevent further conflict I will at time accommodate because I may not feel strongly enough about the conflict to prolong the disagreement.
  2. C.     Based on this assessment tool, my personality style is extroverted, sensing, thinking, and judging.

Extroverted (E) 62.5% Introverted (I) 37.5%

Sensing (S) 62.5% Intuitive (N) 37.5%
Thinking (T) 54.17% Feeling (F) 45.83%
Judging (J) 54.17% Perceiving (P) 45.83%

Your type is: ESTJ

ESTJ – “Administrator”. Much in touch with the external environment. Very responsible. Pillar of strength. 8.7% of total population.

1. D.    Based on this assessment tool provided in the document, I am an extrovert and gather information sensibly. I think when making decisions and reaching conclusions and adopt the lifestyle of judging.

a. The article Bridging the Generation Gaps gives insight on the different generational groups that are working together in the health care field today. The article acknowledges that working among different generations and having these gaps can cause discords, however if we educate ourselves on the differences and similarities communication and collaboration can be more effective. The key idea of this article is to educate ourselves of the different styles of these groups and use them in the most effective and productive manner, so that work flow can be less conflicting. You can use the shared behaviors as a motivating factor for the different generations. The most important thing is to be nonjudgmental, and understanding of the views of each generation so that their strengths can ultimately be used to provide quality care.

b. The generation gaps impact nursing and precepting in many ways. One example is communication. A baby boomer may not clearly understand the work values of a generation X or Y person. This lack of understanding can cause them to pass judgment making the teamwork less effective due to misconceptions or differences. Generations Y and Z are members of the digital world and lean more towards a life/ work flexibility, while Baby boomers are willing to work long hours. Because of the difference in core work values misconceptions can be made. However if communication is clear regarding the understanding of the different generational views, work flow can be better because less judgment would be passed. With better understanding of the generational views similarities can be discovered and used to better form teams and create a productive work environment. As for my own practice I will use my knowledge and take into considerations the different work views so that I do not offend any person. By doing this I know communication and collaboration will be less difficult.

a.  Critical thinking is developed through knowledge and experience.  The knowledge and principles are taught in the basis of education. To critically think one must begin to ask questions in the presence of no problem. Many nurses are task oriented and think only of solving problems; however there is a desire for critical thinkers to look past the task and look toward how things can be done more effectively by promoting creativity. Critically thinking allows a nurse to be less robotic in care and more proactive. Rather than just doing a task that is told, you can brainstorm and create more effective strategies in providing better, safer, and effective care.

b. Critically thinking most definitely impacts my nursing practice. By leaning on my knowledge I can create ways that are both beneficial to the client and my practice. Rather than just following orders, by critically thinking I can prevent errors from being made, and pick up on things faster. I know as a nurse my task is to help restore the health of my clients. This is a task placed in front of me: to dispense the right medication and provide the prescribed care. Though this is beneficial I can also as a nurse critically think of ways that will aid the client in recovery that is within my scope. My leadership qualities will grow thinking more critically rather than just being task oriented.