Reflection on visit to BHS

Have you ever wondered what it was like to live in Brooklyn in the 1900’s? Well I did and I was able to find out the answer through Brooklyn Historical Society. My expierence at BHS was an interesting one. We first started out by getting a tour of the area around City tech and Brooklyn Heights. Throughout the tour our tour guide Julie Golia was telling us the history behind Brooklyn how it was its on borough, how there was a fire near our school that happened many years ago at a theater. These facts were interesting because me living in Brooklyn all my life did not even know that.

Our second expiernce with BHS we got a chance to look at old maps even subway maps from the 1970’s. This map was really confusing specifically because if you compare that subway map to todays subway map there two different things. Our maps of today are more detailed and have every stop marked down. Now on the subway map from the 1970’s that map was confusing it just looked like colors everywhere. These two have really showed me how when history changes so do maps.  At BHS we also go to look through the archives. Looking through archives fascinate me so much because we are actually able to look at these documents these pieces of history and see how they looked and how much things cost compare to now.

After all my expierence at BHS was a great one and it made me realized how much fares have gone up. If I get the chance to go to BHS again I would like to look at a lot more archives.

This entry was posted in Reflections and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.