MoCCA Arts Festival

For my first networking event, I went to the MoCCA Arts Festival, or MoCCA Fest for short. MoCCA Fest is an independent comics/illustration showcase. Unlike most showcases, this event behaves more like a convention akin to Comic Con, but for independent artistry. This event includes booths from various artists both solo & in groups, as well as educational panels for visitors who want a better understanding of various artistic techniques. During the showcase, I was an exhibitor for City Tech’s Ink Club. My job was to sell Ink Club anthologies, which had various illustrations from the club’s participants, myself included.  What made this experience interesting was that the type of networking at this event was unconventional. Aside from having business cards (which I couldn’t make at the time), our illustrations had social media handles associated with them. As such, we would network through the illustrations themselves. From my experience there, the exposure came from taking pictures of profile handles, and taking business cards. There is also going to other booths, but being an exhibitor doesn’t give people that chance because we have to stay so visitors won’t get turned away. Overall, it was a very interesting experience hat I never would have thought about actually doing.