Networking At My Internship

For my internship, I worked at Lanchid LLC. It is a financial consulting company that is located near the Flatiron District at West 27th Street. As a design intern who was working at a financial consulting firm, I felt very out of place. I had no knowledge of any marketing or financial jargon, so I had nothing to even talk about in the beginning. All I did in the beginning was just complete tasks without staring away from the computer screen. It sounds like a typical demand, but after a while, it gets boring in the sense that I’m still the only design intern there.

After two weeks at my internship, I met Savannah Blodgett. Surprisingly enough, I recognized her from my internship class, and at that moment I didn’t feel like an outsider in this white collar atmosphere. We managed to always be in sync while completing our respective design assignments as each task was connected to the next. She would make logos, food labels, and business cards that would directly correlate with my web design & written content. In turn, we were able to complete our tasks at a very quick pace. What made the situation interesting was that even though our design skills are different, we managed to complete tasks as if nothing was different to begin with. This was a situation that I did not expect, but I couldn’t help but realize something. Despite having opposing skillsets, networking is still possible regardless, and that alone really is something to reflect on.