Alexis Abraham_Unit 3_Writing In A New Genre (And Reaching Your Audience!)

What was the cause of the Canadian Wildfires, is my research topic. I did a lot of research for this project. I looked at a lot of news articles, blogs and YouTube videos to find which sources worked best to answer my research question. I believe the sources I choose provided the best information I could use. My genres are a blog, a digital news article and a YouTube documentary. I think these genres are fine for doing research but if I wanted to educate, inform and bring attention to the causes of the Canadian Wildfires I would create a Podcast. I believe a Podcast would be an excellent genre to spread the word about the Canadian Wildfires and the causes. My audience is Gen Z, this is my age group; ages 13-24 and we love Podcasts. 47% of Gen Z listen to Podcasts monthly. That’s about 24 million Americans in my age group listening to Podcasts monthly! Podcasts are a way to speak your mind on a topic you feel passionate about to a wide audience. I want my Gen Z audience to know the fires in Canada are not unusual and happen annually helping to regenerate the forest ecosystem. I want them to know fires are an important part of nature but unfortunately, the Canadian wildfires that occurred this season are not normal and are a very serious result of the negligence of humanity. They need to know previous generations just allowed big oil and industrial corporations to pollute our planet with no accountability. I want to use my Podcast to bring attention to our society’s dependence on oil, gas, plastic and cars; and all the other materials we use in our daily lives that pollute the atmosphere, the ocean and our entire planet are directly to blame for the climate crisis we currently find ourselves in. I want to breakdown the science in a way my Gen Z audience will understand, the information featured on my Podcast will be clear that the climate crisis is to blame in one form or another for the out of control Canadian wildfires that burned 34 million acres of land this year, displaced thousands of people from their homes and sent large amounts of toxic orange smoke across the Northern East Coast of the United States and as far away as Norway. My Podcasts will discuss the urgency to my Gen Z audience of working together to make some changes. I would stress to my audience not in a lecturing way but in a way that lets them know if we dont wake up and address the climate crisis now, today, we will not have a planet left to live on! The Canadian wildfires will have burned everything up to a barren wasteland that cannot regenerate itself and that would be bad for every generation!