Research Question Proposal – ashley skye

Out of all the potential topics I wanted to expand on, there was one that really stuck out to me. What does government housing in New York City serve exactly? All over New York City there are specific areas that you can find government housing in. Usually all the apartment buildings/ complexes share a very similar structure on both the outside and inside. They typically are brick houses that range from 5-12 floors.  Often at times the buildings are shaped as a cross in which you can truly see from the top.

I have a particular interest in this subject because of a personal connection. Along with many of my relatives on both sides of my family, I once resided in government housing on the lower east side. But some people would know it by the term “the projects”. As the years progressed, City living expenses became more and more expensive due to inflation. Which made a lot of people’s living choices very limited. The apartments were mail=nly marketing to individuals that would make six figures. But despite the extensive history my family and I have with housing, I’ve never really been able to grasp the logic behind it. Except that its primary purpose is to provide assistance to the people who lack the resources to pay for conventional NYC residences.

In my research on this subject, I’m looking for the fundamental causes and effects of the official start of the NYC housing program. Additionally, the aim is to identify common patterns and recurring issues the New York City tenants had to deal with. Such as who was primarily in need of housing compared to the remainder of the city. Furthermore, another goal was to determine the reachability and competitiveness of lower-cost housing due to the rising population as well as post-covid circumstances.

.