Alexis Abraham Research Question Proposal

Canadian WildFires 

What was the cause of the Canadian Wildfires? Canadian wildfires are not a new thing, Canada experiences wildfires all over the country every season, every year. However, what made this wildfire season so significant is how much damage the fires caused, sources I reviewed claimed “37.8 million acres of land, nearly 10 times more than 2022 and roughly the size of New York state.” was burned in the wildfires. The smoke spread across the Midwest and the East Coast of the United States, filling the sky with yellow haze and creating hazardous air quality conditions to all the states impacted. This question intrigues me because I was directly affected by the air quality warnings, having to stay inside my apartment with the windows closed. It was crazy to me to see that yellow sky filled with smoke. I could taste the smoke in my mouth, feeling it burning my eyes and smelling the strong smell of burnt wood and gas in the air when I did go outside. It made me think, how could fires happening all the way in Canada affect us in New York? In Brooklyn? It Impacted us so severely that the City and State had to send out warnings and red alerts telling people to stay in their homes because the air quality was at dangerous levels! That was crazy to me and it made me want to find out more about what caused this event, how the Canadians were coping with the wildfires, what the Canadians were doing about it? Is this going to happen again? Is climate change to blame? Will New York and the other states that were affected be better prepared for another Canadian Wildfire event if it happens again?