HW.2.1

Ā  Ā  Ā The author James Baldwin touches on many issues and cites examples revolving aroundĀ  all over the world and not just America. In his quote he states ā€œI would try to make [the student] know that just as American history is longer, larger, more various, more beautiful and more terrible than anything anyone has ever said about it, so is the world larger, more daring, more beautiful and more terrible, but principally larger ā€“ and that it belongs to him. I would teach him that he doesnā€™t have to be bound by the expediencies of any given administration, any given policy, any given morality; that he has the right and the necessity to examine everything.ā€. Baldwin’s statement cites that the world is larger than the America we live in and that there is a large world out there, therefore you should use it all to your advantage. This statement about the world being larger is a powerful reminder to look beyond our own limited perspectives. It means acknowledging that there is a vastness to the world that extends beyond our individual experiences. It’s about recognizing the diversity of people, cultures, and ideas that exist beyond our immediate surroundings. By embracing this idea, I open myself up to new knowledge, empathy, and understanding. It encourages me to step outside my comfort zones and engage with the richness and complexity of the world around me. There is this idea being portrayed that there is more to the world than meets the eye. It’s about expanding my perspectives and understanding that there are diverse experiences and perspectives beyond my own. One thing other particular thing he states that touches me is ā€œ The purpose of education, finally, is to create in a person the ability to look at the world for himself, to make his own decisions, to say to himself this is black or this is white, to decide for himself whether there is a God in heaven or not. To ask questions of the universe, and then learn to live with those questions, is the way he achieves his own identity.ā€. I think that it’s a really good statement and highly important since it helps me to examine and learn more about the complexities of human experiences, particularly those that differ from my personal experience. In other words this includes understanding different cultures, education, histories, and perspectives to foster empathy and promote a more inclusive society. We can become more compassionate and help build a more inclusive society. In the end It’s all about embracing diversity and celebrating the richness of human experiences. I believe it’s never too late to gather this information and learn, we are in the age of learning and learning about as many different things as possible is beautiful. Although we did not have the opportunity of learning all these things in school the world is large so the possibilities are endless.Ā