BP7: Bryan Jimenez

A key informative scene from “The Blabber” by Vernor Vinge is on pages 9-11 when Hamid talks on the isolation of Middle America, how it relates to Old Earth, and how big of an impact the blabber has in their society their society. In Middle America, located nine light years within the ‘Slow Zone,’ they deal with a slow and expensive trade, and outdated technology compared to the rest of humanity. Furthermore, they are linked to being a direct colony of Old Earth which has become a legend that makes it important information to them.

Although the location of Middle America makes them uninteresting to most people, some find them interesting enough to travel to or trade with them. The Blabber plays a huge role in this as it offers them a look into the universe outside of the ‘Slow Zone’ and improves their quality of life through trade. This scene gives us an insight into the story’s setting and themes, which tells us the issues faced by Middle America’s isolation and how big of an impact the Blabber has had on them.

2 Responses to BP7: Bryan Jimenez

1. I totally agree with your answer. I was gonna choose this quote if it hadn’t been taken already because to me it’s the easiest to dissect and piece together other parts to it within the story.

2. The Slow Zone was a really intriguing concept to me. What other lifeforms do you think could live there? How big was it?