BP 6 – Khalil

I choose question 1, the relationship between the artificial Intelligence and the humans in “I have no mouth, and I must scream” is simple, both despise each other.

The computer named Am, wiped almost all of humanity with the exception of 5 individuals witch he chooses to make suffer instead rather then end them. This hatred towards them was due to his own existence, believing he just a machine with no will power and he takes it out on the humans also known as his creators. In the end Ted (one of the victims) eventually dies to the machine. This kind of relation is mostly to develop more hateful with time until either side gets what they want, freedom. This also could be the main reason g to why people have the notion that robots will take over the word and replace us.

“The Lifecycle of Software Objects”, showcases a different kind of relation ship between the humans (Ana Alvarado and Derek Brooks) and machines, the humans are the parents and the machines (Jax) are their children. Rather the creation of a machine to do certain work it actually goes through the process of actually being cared for as if it was more than just a machine.  The kinds of relationship that I most likely see being develop is something could show how robots can have their own thinking and can be their own person, but, that very same mentality is what could lead them to do things like AM did. Although since that story shows the affection towards them and viewing them more than just a machine that could change.    

3 Responses to BP 6 – Khalil

1. Yeah robots having their own thinking can be kind of scary.

2. I liked your take on the relationship between humans and AI, I completely agree with you that if we care for AI, they wont turn out like how AM did.

3. ChrisCaruso says:

I agree with, and like the compare/contrast in the way you described the difference between the treatment of the two machines. One group, in Chiangs story as you described “the process of actually being cared for as if it was more than just a machine”. Whereas with AM, their hatred “was due to his own existence, believing he just a machine with no will power”. Both of which leave the machines wanting their own autonomy but for different reasons i suppose.