BP 3

The short story “The Ones Who Walk away from Omelas” by Ursula K LeGuinn describes the utopian city of Omelas. Everyone seems to be joyful and in harmony, even the horses whom are at the Festival of Summer. There is a procession and the narrator describes it as the happiest place to be in with women carrying babies while chatting with other women, people having fun dancing, and children running around. There is even a scene where a little boy is playing his wooden flute while people watch and smile. The narrator has painted the most peaceful place to attract the readers imagination. The reader would feel like a person from Omelas.

Now that the reader is engaged in the story, the narrator describes what it takes to be able to live in this utopian city and the citizens have an option of staying or leaving. The reader is now in the same dilemma as the citizens of Omelas. Should they stay and ignore the fact that a child is suffering or should they leave because the happiness of the city shouldn’t depend on this one child suffering? Some adults and even children have witnessed the child who lives in the basement or cellar and have decided to walk away and never come back to Omelas. I believe that the people walking away from Omelas represents the rejection of society鈥檚 way of life. Not everyone wants to fit in with society because sometimes some things are just not morally right. They prefer to leave everything behind than to ignore a child suffering for their own benefit.

I think LeGuinn believes that leaving Omelas is the right choice but she is afraid to leave because she does not know where people would stop at. She feels bad for the child suffering and justifies the other citizens staying by describing the disgust they feel when they find out that the city鈥檚 happiness depends on the child. They all know that happiness would not exist elsewhere like in Omelas. They are all trapped by society norms and aren’t aware of how unethical it is. If I were a citizen of Omelas, I would walk away after seeing that child! Its morally wrong to choose personal comfort instead of standing up to the injustice.聽 I wouldn’t be at peace anymore.

4 Responses to BP 3

1. I like how you included your own personal opinion on the topic, haven鈥檛 seen anyone include that yet.

2. I also like how you put your own opinion in your post, it makes it more personable. I wouldn鈥檛 be at peace knowing a child is suffering either because I am not a selfish person and I feel like the people that stayed are selfish.

3. I liked your opinions on this post, it adds more depth to what you are conveying.

4. LeGuin is afraid to leave Omelas? LeGuin is an author, using a narrator’s persona, to tell a fictional story. I’m not sure what you mean by this.