BP: 2

There are residents of the city of Omelas in Ursula K. LeGuin’s “The Ones Who Walk Away From Omelas.” In this city, the citizens are always happy and never go through hardships; however, there is a reason why the residents are content and never experience difficulties. When the residents are young, they are shown a child in the basement. After this, the children are told how this child has to stay miserable for them to be happy. I think the citizens have to be made aware of the existence of the child in the basement because it gives them time to come to terms and to deal with the situation. Telling the citizens also allows them to just twist it and make it sound better.

I think people walking away from Omelas represent them not accepting sacrificing another person’s happiness for their own. I think Le Guin believes staying in Omelas is the right choice. I think she believes this because she says that the happiness of thousands may not be worth the chance of happiness for one. If I had a choice, I would choose to leave the city of Omelas. I would choose to leave because it is not right to force someone to be miserable just for your personal wealth and prosperity. As a person, I just can鈥檛 live with someone being mistreated just for my own happiness.

2 Responses to BP: 2

1. Yea I totally agree that this story does have a lot to do with making sacrifices in return for happiness

2. I think you need to do some more to back up your claim about LeGuin’s pov.