Test 2 review and more

Test 2 is re-scheduled for Monday 21 October for the full class period.

Please make sure that you are familiar with my course policies as they apply to Tests. Make sure that you also read the CUNY Academic Integrity Policy which is on that linked page!

A WeBWorK assignment “Test2Review” has been posted. It is due by Sunday midnight so that I can make the answers available to you at that time, but do not wait: start working on it as soon as you can!

The WeBWorK review assignment has more problems than will be on the test itself (as usual) because there is some repetition, and also some problems are parts of longer problems which will appear on the test (and on the Final Exam). That means that you should pay special attention to the problems which are unique, such as finding the perpendicular bisector.

Two types of problems do not appear on the WeBWorK and you should review the relevant classwork: graphing parabolas (using vertex, axis of symmetry, and x- and y-intercepts), and graphing circles (using the center, radius, and four cardinal points).

Here is the classwork you will need to review:

MAT1275coParabolaClasswork

MAT1275coGraphingCircles

You are responsible for reviewing for the Tests.  Use the review assignment to practice working problems. The best way to review for any test is to work the problems as if you were taking a test: don’t look at notes (or hints) and try not to take more than about 3-5 minutes per problem – except for solving a nonlinear system, or graphing, which takes longer! But not more than about 10 minutes. Aim for that when you practice.

The WeBWorK review assignment has much more problems than will be on the Test! You will see that there is some repetition.

The most important thing to do to prepare for any Test in Math is to work problems. Practice, practice practice.

It’s also a good idea to go back to the quizzes. I’ll try to make sure you have all of them returned to you tomorrow. I have posted copies of the Quizzes which you can use to test yourself (allow 10 minutes for each Quiz) and then check against the solutions which I have also posted there.

Another thing you can do is to return to the old WeBWorK problem sets. I have enabled “Show me another” so that you can practice more.

Concentrate on the problems which give you the most trouble. It is also good to work with a classmate or a group of classmates.

You may wish to watch or re-watch the video resources we have made available. Here are some links:

Notes for students

– if you feel that you are working hard and not getting the results you want. This also includes advice on the subject of how to get the most from the video resources linked below.

How to use the video resources

MAT 1275CO syllabus with video resource links

And last but not least, Tutoring and other resources