Landing the Internship

https://www.pexels.com/search/job/

The process of obtaining the internship was extremely hard especially since I wanted to do illustrations-based work. The internships which I came across were all for graphic design and other work. This is my last year of college so I wanted to land an internship as soon as possible to graduate by the end of summer. I applied to the cuny cultural corps and unfortunately, it was full at the time so they told me to stay on the waiting list until a position is available, they said that it could take months or a year. 

Since I needed to finish the class I kept looking for internships and I came across a post on the open lab internship coordination site about the internship I’m doing right now. I decided to do this graphic design internship first since it will also be beneficial to me besides illustration work. To obtain this internship I emailed the supervisor with my resume, portfolio, and a description stating why I wanted that position. Surprisingly, the supervisor got back to me the next day which I was not expecting, she said she wanted to talk to me in a one-on-one Zoom interview next week. I was very nervous at first and started doing some research on the company as well as practicing for the interview. 

During the interview day, I joined the meeting 10 minutes early but the supervisor was a little late. She didn’t ask me anything which was already stated on the email application I sent earlier, instead, she started with why I am applying for graphic design when most of my work on the portfolio is illustration. I briefly explained everything to her, I got even more nervous with that question because I thought I might get rejected for having mainly illustrations but she understood my situation very well. Other generic questions took about 30 minutes to finish answering. Towards the end, she said she really liked my branding graphic design campaign projects which I had in my portfolio and I could be beneficial for the type of work she does. She told me she needs a little time and will get back to me the week after which she did, she asked me in an email when I wanted to start working. I officially started working on May 25th of 2023. My role at the company is to assist my supervisor in completing various client projects.