Theatrical Drafting – #8 Deck Layout

HW-8 SG-Layout3

I needed to understand how to layout a deck and the details for a technical director to analyze design drawings. A technical director will receive designer drawings that show the final look of the show. For this assignment I needed to layout platforms for the deck shown and how I divided the deck and provide construction drawings for each platform.

To start with this project brought together everything we learned so far in the semester. Xrefing the the ground plan then with the dimensions given figure where the deck is. Next creating platforms. I started with trying to fill up the deck with as many stock platform I can and in the middle of the stage. After a few tries moving platforms around, i was able to use 7 stock platforms and 4 customs ones

When I started to plate the platforms on the ground plan I thought it was fairly easy. I would then start copying it and adding everything else in another spot in model space which I learned adds more work for me and easy to miss anything lines or dimensions if I ever made any changes to the platforms. I would also copy objects all over my drawing instead of using layers to make things visible or not.

Things would in layer that weren’t printable that I didn’t catch in the beginning and wonder why it wouldn’t show up when I printed it. And to place it all in paper space and not look sloppy I would use the ones i copied in model space laying them out there instead of using multiple view ports. My line weight was all wrong in the second plate with the construction drawings for the platforms.

For future tasks very similar I need to really use and pay attention to the layers. I learned what I do isn’t actually easier and just giving myself more work that by the end it just makes it more for me to miss errors. Also, to plot preview my work before printing.