Diary of a college kid 

Daniel Szocs, English 1121 402

March 30 – April 3

March 30 Ridgewood Queens 

Dear Diary!

12pm

Online school is going well, not as ideal as I would have wanted it to be, but nothing in life can ever go as how we want it to go. Best thing for me to do is adapt which I have done. My classes are going well, I have finished my work so now I have to go and help make food for my family since my mom and brother are doing their school work as well.

3pm

I have just made some rice and some chicken curry so we can eat tonight. This self isolation is not really hurting me mentally like it does to others, that just shows how I am one of those who are not affected by being under quarantine. However many people in my area have been going out more than ever. I hear people outside commuting everywhere, the neighbors kids going out more and more. I can see that they have had enough of this quarantine lifestyle.

5pm

Everyone from my mom and my brother are going insane from not being able to go outside. My tactic for overcoming is by sleeping and watching Netflix, I have started changing my habits since this self isolation has been declared necessary. I would never in my right mind be able to watch a show without getting bored, especially alone. My attention span when it comes to watching videos or tv shows is very sad and pathetic. I easily get distracted and lose interest. How ever it seems that I have evolved from that pathetic excuse to why I can not physically watch a tv show or a show on netflix without easily losing interest.

April 1st

Dear Diary,

7:45am  

I have to wait until 8:30 for me to do my midterm for math online. I am terrified since I have heard horror stories from other college students that taking a test online is not the most ideal way you would want to take a test that determines if you fail the class or not. Today will be a long day and hopefully I can get through with it. The best part is that I am in the comfort of where I sleep so that will always be the one bright outcome of this online transition.

6pm

I have had a long day of coding little micro controllers to designing websites in HTML and CSS. What gets me mad is that in my first semester the counselors gave me an advanced coding class before I could take the introductory class. This memory makes me look back on how my mind had to adapt to code language, it was like learning a new language. Constant headaches, such horrid times but it has payed off since I am ahead of others which gives me a small amount of confidence.

9:24pm

Just came back from the store to get groceries to eat at home, such as pasta and meats and vegetables and oranges. However my part of Queens is not shifted by the global pandemic that has been warned by our government. I honestly question if I will catch it or not since I had to be outside in front of other people. However I realize that I have been sick my whole life, constantly dealing with different allergies and colds. I come to the realization that my body will fight off this virus well or I hope because then I will have to suffer from the rumors people say about the virus. I am not so scared though, i’m prepared to fight it off If I were to get it.

1am

I was watching netflix while realizing that my body feels a little off, sore throat, runny nose. I get worried for a second then proceed to make hot tea and cover up well while watching netflix to get myself tired so I can sleep this off.

April 2nd

Dear Diary!

4pm

I definitely overslept the whole day, however this feeling I have gotten did not go away. I proceeded to take vitamins and an Advil to ease the symptoms.

I told my mom that I do not feel too well, then as every mother would she was overreacting and have called my father for me and my brother to live with him for a bit so she can go upstate and be safe from the virus. It does not feel like I have a virus though, just uncomfortable. So I guess I will be away from home for a while with my brother.

April 3rd

Dear Diary, 

7pm

The day I have had was crazy, I first wake up to find myself feeling better than I did the past few days, then I am asked to go and help out my father in the deli that he works in. Something I notice is that people in brooklyn are way smarter than the people in queens, because I have seen more people in brooklyn wear masks than I have seen anyone in queens wearing them. I got to walk my dads dog, but it was not easy walking an antisocial pitbull whose first instinct when seeing another animal is to pounce at them and bark, now the variable that goes well with this equation is that almost everyone in the area my dad works in has dogs so the route we took was an adventure. It was better than being stuck at home all day having no view of the outside. I go back to my dad’s place to catch up on sleep and finish whatever school work there is to finish on my phone, that was the whole outcome of my day.