Big Ideas Welcome Here

Diary Entry 2_ Angello

I just finish eating my dinner which was a very tender steak and the side dish was rice mixed with beans. As I ate my food, I noticed my two dogs looking straight at me and they had the cute puppy eyes that no one can resist. I cut my steak in half so that we can share and I cut their half into pieces so they can have an easier time eating with me. While eating, I remembered that the college was still close and I felt sad because i really enjoy the commute in the morning. It might be weird but I enjoy getting on the train then getting off at borough hall since the exit is near a park and i can always relax when I’m walking.  Now i have no reason to leave the house since class is online for the rest of the semester and most stores or public areas are closed so none of those things are an option. The only plus side I can think of is the fact that my family will be saving a lot of money from my allowance and the monthly purchase for the unlimited metro card. i really regret not applying for ASAP since $130 is a little too much for me to pay. Even now as I type this, my dog is pulling on my pants to i can play with him and his favorite rope but i rather finish this now. its hard to type with one hand while the other one is petting a dog but i love these guys and i would do anything for them and petting them is the bare minimal. i think i should stop here since my can of pepsi is almost done and i need to replace it. this might be my fifth one today and i know have an addiction so i need to slow down.

1. Sarah Schmerler

Angello,
    Your writing made me smile. Pepsi! Dogs!
    Great details.
    People like to read real stuff.
    And blog posts feel like “real time.”
    I know what you mean about the commute. That downtown area is like no other place I’ve known. The amount of people all converging — the courts, the fast-food places — and Fulton Mall itself? Forget about it. That place is so amazing that someone could write a whole book just about that. It’s got history. I mean the architecture, alone…
    Anyway, I know the commute thing has different meaning for each of us, and I liked how yours was calming.
    Mine is just the opposite!
    -Prof. S.

• Daniel Szocs

The fact that you have the metro card that you can barely afford while not being able to use it, connected with me on a spiritual level because imagine how much of a waste it is to spend $127 on a card you can not use for the rest of the month. It pains me how well I can relate to you on that aspect, and it is good that you have your dogs right by your side.

• Sarah Schmerler

Ironies abound. And thinking on a spiritual level is good right now. Thanks for your insightful comments, Daniel.

-Prof. S.

2. Sarah Schmerler

Daniel and Angello, I was reading the NYTIMES this morning, and they talked about MetroCards:
    “You can’t take the train to work because the governor ordered the office to close and told people to stay off mass transit except for emergencies.
    So can you get a refund on the 30-day unlimited MetroCard you paid $127 for last week? Or on your monthly commuter rail pass?

Relief is on its way, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority said, though it was not clear yet what form it would take.
    “With respect to refunds, we’re going to do the right thing,” the authority’s chairman, Patrick J. Foye, said on NY1 on Monday.
    “Obviously, right now we’re in the middle of this pandemic situation and managing our way through that,” Mr. Foye said. The authority is seeking a $4 billion federal bailout to replace lost revenue from riders, and on Tuesday it cut subway service by at least 25 percent.
    When it comes to MetroCards, the authority’s current policy only allows for refunds when cards are lost, damaged or stolen. The existing refund policies of Metro-North and the Long Island Rail Road, which the authority operates, call for commuters to forfeit the 50 percent discount that comes with monthly passes if they seek refunds for unused days.
    The agency’s press office said Tuesday that its plan was still being put together.”

Here is the link to the source: