Big Ideas Welcome Here

Diary Entry 2_Antonio

Having online classes I thought would be an interesting experience, but so far not happy about it. On the contrary feels like I’m not learning as well as I was sitting in the classroom and listening to my professor teach me something new. I know this is something new to most professors and myself included, and we all might need extra patience to deal with. In other news dealing with COVID-19 in such little time has gotten worse and spread throughout our communities, feels like it has shut down more than 70% of New York. Being the city that “Never Sleeps” looks like we are definitely sleeping alright. Until this moment I’m still taking all of this day by day and not letting myself get stress out. Just yesterday I went out for a run in the morning I would recall seeing way less people outside and some people that I saw were covered with gloves and masks on as precaution. Took a few miles into my run until I saw other runners as well also running, waving hello and smiling. At that moment I was glad I wasn’t the only runner around my neighborhood (Elmhurst) to keep training and not let this virus mess completely with our lives. At the moment still having to go into work, taking the subway feels weird because there’s only like 4-5 people in the train car including myself. It is safe to say that is better to stay home especially if being sick, then being in the train and getting other commuters sick as well. I hope that this virus comes to an end soon and at the end we will remember this as a horrible sci-fi movie. Hope everyone remains safe.

1. Sarah Schmerler

Antonio,
    I like your City That Never Sleeps reference, and your mention of Elmhurst. You have a lot of insight and patience in your words. Keep running!
    I have thought, lately, that a smile is so very powerful these days. It means so much more than it used to, and I notice that a smile from a stranger doesn’t weird me out these days but totally reassures me. So powerful.
    Be well!
    -Prof. S.

2. Anonymous

The city that never sleeps does feel like its sleeping. I am doing the same as you taking it day by day.