Category Archives: Uncategorized

SQLite Database manager

Rails defaults to using the SQLite database.  In order to access this database directly, there is a plugin that can do this from within Firefox, called (appropriately enough) sqlite_manager.  It can be obtained here:

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

Tk –

“Tk is the only cross-platform (Windows, Mac, Unix) graphical user interface toolkit designed exclusively for high-level dynamic languages, like Tcl, Ruby, Perl, Python and many others. Whatever language you use, this site brings you the current, high-quality essential information you … Continue reading

Posted in Uncategorized | Leave a comment

TextMate – TMTools

“The TMTOOLS plug-in is a conglomeration of shell commands which provide the user with advanced functionality to interact with TextMate.” Information here: Download git for osx mate : allows command line access to TextMate. RubyAmp how to install here Note TextMate is … Continue reading

TextMate: Interactive support fix for Snow Leopard

It appears that in the Ruby download, a configuration issue with Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6.x)  causes the ability to use the standard input (‘gets’) to break.  As long as you are running the script from the terminal then it will … Continue reading

TextMate 3: useful links and ideas for Ruby

TextMate Shortcuts szeryf’s list of very useful keyboard shortcuts RubyAmp a TextMate Bundle that adds lots of functionality for Ruby code development

Posted in Uncategorized | Tagged , | Leave a comment

TextMate 2

At first glance, I like this environment. There are a lot of autocomplete functions, and many ways to program additional ones or create snippets.  Cmd-R runs the environment.  I have not yet tried multi-file projects, but, if the rest of … Continue reading

TextMate

After my less than wonderful experience with the Eclipse Ruby implementation (and don’t get me wrong, I LOVE Eclipse for Java development, and also learned a lot about how to configure it for other types of languages in this process), … Continue reading

Installing an Eclipse with Ruby Plug in

Decided to attempt to get Ruby working in an Eclipse environment.  I am using as my tutorial an article from Digerati and Technology Reports (April 17 2011) by Mike Hubbartt and can be found here. Note this tutorial is only … Continue reading

Eclipse

Ruby on Rails provides plugin support for project development in Eclipse.  Here is a link to how to do this (O’Reilly Media, note this is 2007: will find more recent info). Here you can download an Eclipse Distribution (updated 2009)

Macs need XCode

Jumping ahead a touch (some of this posting is retroactive), it is important that if you want to work in this environment on a Mac that you make sure that XCode is installed.  XCode travels with mac installation disks, but … Continue reading