“Mirror” by Lil Wayne ft Bruno Mars

The song that I have chosen to write about is “Mirror” by Lil Wayne ft Bruno Mars. I firmly believe that this song is a poem because of the any poetic attributes that it possesses.

This song, like many poems, has a form which is much unlike many works of prose. Like poetry, it possesses the element of rhyme. The rhyme scheme, like some poems, is not static – it is dynamic. At one point, it is an ABA rhyme scheme and then it changes. At times the rhymes are masculine, and then at other times it is feminine. This gives the song an interesting sound.

The sing also has a speaker/singer who I believe, like poetry, may be different from the songwriter. This is to say that the expressions in the song may not necessarily be from the true life experiences of Dwayne Carter (Lil Wayne’s real name).

My favorite poetic element in this song (and most of Lil Wayne’s songs) is Lil Wayne’s use of literary devices. One of the literary devices in use in this song is personification. The mirror is given the attributes of a person that allows it to speak to the singer and to be his friend. He also uses a pun in the 6th line of the 2nd verse where he does a pay on the word ‘pane’ to refer to ‘pain’. In the same line, he uses a metaphor to compare the eyes (the windows to the soul) to a window pane.

I undoubtedly believe that this song in particular and songs in general are poems.

The lyrics to the song can be fond here: http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/lilwayne/mirror.html