Mirror by Sylvia Plath 1963 (Personifaction

The Mirror by Sylvia Plath presents to us a positive tone only to find a sad and negative message. It presents to us a mirror as a person of great knowledge, who has been able to judge without any preconceived idea or opinion of whatever issue at hand. This places the mirror as a person of authority who is without any personal feelings but truthful with no regards as to its effect, be it harsh or cruel. Ā This is very positive, for only a person of great knowledge can do such a thing.Ā  This gives me the feelings of someone trying to look at oneself with an intention of being objective, of looking to see the truth, thinking the he or she can face it regardless of whatever it may be. But on seeing the truth, that person is dismayed and tries to look beyond the simple reflection of a mirrorĀ  and as such transform the mirror to a lake to give it depth and to reach into that depth, the lake, the past,Ā to try andĀ find something better to grasp at as the reality. In transforming the mirror to a lake, the poet is creating something with a profound meaningful substance, something that has a past for the person to search, to reach into. This person at times allow glimpses of something beautiful from that past, to cloud the truth, the present,Ā asĀ thou to haveĀ some comfort at times,Ā but is faced with the harsh reality of the present. This is like a terrible monster, this harsh reality day after day she has to live with, that stares her in her face. It is of an old lonely lady who reflects back on her younger beautiful past, of days gone, left only with a sad and gloomy life. This gives a sad and negative message. Ā As such, it can be reasonable to say that this poem has a positive tone but a sad and negative message.

This entry was posted in Assignments, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Mirror by Sylvia Plath 1963 (Personifaction

1. pcesar12 says:

I agree with your interpretation the mirror only wants the reader to see what is to be seen. The speaker in this poem seems to be under a lot of pressure almost defeated. She is defeated by who she has become. “eyes of a little god” seems to be that people worships the reflection. there may be a misunderstanding of what is actually presented in the reflection. I believe that the woman in the poem is looking for the young energetic woman in herself in the water’s reflection. I think that side of her is lost though by the struggles of life.

2. shae says:

I agree with what was said by both the blogger and commenter on the poem ā€œMirrorā€ and that is, the writer of the poem only wants us the readers to see what is meant to be seen. The writer illustrates this with his opening line, ā€œI am silver and exact. I have no preconceptionsā€, as if to let us know from the start that what you see is what you get, there will be no adjustments to make one feel better about what they see. The mirror is represented as a truthful being as the lady in the poem struggles to accept her present image reflected in the mirror. She still wishes that the reflection she once saw when she was younger would somehow emerge. She is forced to accept what she has become, as the mirror continuously forces her to face the truth, unlike people in society who are more likely to lie in order to make one feel better.