Manifesto – Women not being as dominant as males in the professional world

If I were to write a manifesto about women in our society as Loy does, I would write about women still not being as dominant as males in the professional fields of today. The issue I would like to bring awareness to is why do males still dominate the most esteemed professional fields and still get paid more for their work? It is a fact that women teachers, doctors, lawyers, architects, and engineers are neither met with the same confidence as their male colleagues, nor receive equal remuneration.

I believe that even up to today women are constantly still being underrepresented in many fields, especially in leadership positions. Only 1 out of every 7 engineering students is female, and women account for a pathetic 6 percent of chief executives of the top 100 tech companies. And in terms of salary, it’s well established that women earn an average of 77 cents for every man’s dollar.

Our society is constantly changing and making new improvements. But, never did I think that in 2014 we’d still be having this issue. Why are we as women letting ourselves being taken advantage of? We work just as hard and are dedicated to our careers just as the male population is. We’ve all been through the same struggle and fight to become who we are and where we are today. So why not stand up and change the way we are being looked at. I believe we, as women need to help and embrace each other’s work ethic. It’s extremely bothersome to me that the male population is being admired and acclaimed for the same professions we as women are doing but are still not demanding and getting the same amount of respect for. I think it’s highly disrespectful and also pathetic that we aren’t getting paid as much as them although we still put in the same amount of time and effort as they do.

4 thoughts on “Manifesto – Women not being as dominant as males in the professional world

1. Do you think that there’s an Angel in the House, as Woolf describes in “Professions for Women,” not just for literature but for all efforts women attempt that transgress socially accepted notions of what women should do? You might re-read the text to see if it offers you anything to help you think about your argument here. Anyone is welcome to respond with a comment connecting Emily’s ideas with Woolf’s.

• Professor, I do strongly believe that there’s an Angel in the House concerning women and the belief of what women should do. I feel that the majority of women do have that angel inside their head separating and distracting them from pursuing their dreams. I think it’s often a little hard to even break this cycle just because of what our brains have been trained to think and do. I believe some women have this image of what we should be doing at home like cooking, cleaning etc. so instilled in them that it makes it extremely hard for them to even see a brighter side of the opportunities that are out there waiting.

2. I agree Emily, I know for a fact that males get paid higher in certain positions than females just becuase of their sex. I think it is outragious for this to be true in 2014. There is nothing that a man can do that a woman cannot do in the professional work feild. Discrimination in my eyes should be beneath the world by this time. We should be far more advanced in this topic and it is sad to see the truth. The truth is that woman are not held to the same standards that we hold men to in the professinal work feild and that has to change.

3. I agree with both of you. I feel that if we had a female president at some point in the past then the woman would have equal rights in 2014? Do we need a female president to achieve this? I feel that since we have only had male presidents they are not really addressing this issue. I mean there is a good chance I have no idea what goes on when it comes to politics but thats just what I think.