The Yellow Wallpaper

Choose three quotations from “The Yellow Wall-Paper” that convince you that the protagonist is an unreliable narrator and explain why for each.

“She (Jennie) didn’t know I was in the room, and when I asked her in a quiet, very quiet voice, with the most restrained manner possible, what she was doing with the paper-she turned around as if she had been caught stealing, and looked quite angry-asked me why I should frighten her so!”
It’s hard to give credit to her narrative overall due to her mental state. In the above quoted text, she described the way she confronted Jennie about the wallpaper. It’s not clear if she really asked in a calm way, or if she sounded irritated. It’s not even a sure thing if Jennie was even touching the wallpaper at all. Maybe the narrator fantasized it, just like she did with many other things.

“The front pattern DOES move-and no wonder! The woman behind it shakes it!”
This is yet another example of how the narrator delusional state makes her create situations in her mind

“(…) I wasn’t alone a bit! As soon as it was moonlight and that poor thing began to crawl and shake the pattern, I got up and ran to help her.”
As the story progresses, the narrator begins to imagine and describe even more absurd scenarios. She now interacts with imaginary characters that emerge from the walls.