“There Was Once”

This is barley a story, this is a monologue. There is one person reciting a story that is very familiar (Cinderella). Then there is another person rejecting every word the first person says. For clarification purposes we can call the first person who is reading the story A and the second person who is correcting the story B. B is very conscious of every word A says. B makes sure that every word said in the story A is reciting will not be taken the wrong way. In the beginning of the monologue B seams to be correcting A for sake of relating to times now-a-days. For example A says the poor girl lived in the forest and B corrected forest to suburbs. An urban change. B is changing the story to match reality. As the monologue unfolds B starts to get politically correct. It seams as if B does not want anyone to take what A is saying in the wrong way. B wants there to be no misread words that can cause any problems. B is very conscious of what the reader will think and how the reader will understand A’s message. The monologue ends with “What’s this was, once? Enough of the dead past. Tell me about now.” This sums up the whole debate between A and B. I think this is a very interesting monologue to read because it makes me think about how conscious writers are with their word choices these days. There is a lot of thinking and re thinking that goes into writing to ensure you do not offend your audience. If this was the case when a lot of classic books and movies were made a lot of stories would not be possible or they would not be the same. If it were up to me I would keep everything the way it is.

1 thought on ““There Was Once”

1. Could you say more about how the final line sums up the debate? What does it mean to you, and what should readers understand from that line in particular? Is B, as you call that character, just picking fights with A, or do you see a reason for each challenge? Is there a pattern to them?

When you say you would keep everything the way it is, what do you mean?