There once was : Subliminal Messages

When I first read “There once was”, I didn’t understand what the author Margaret Atwood what trying to explain. I first initially thought the story what about society and how individuals complain for everything. I come to this conclusion because the author Margaret questions everything and finds a fault in everything . After reading the story over and over I come to an understanding that Atwood is critically analyzing the classic children’s story Cinderella.

She points out many subliminal messages that children or even adults may not look closely at. For instance she brought up the issue of weight and appearances. In the real story Cinderella beauty played a big part, the author give off the idea of being beautiful is the only way to meet Prince Charming. Atwood on the other hand questions that idea when she says “there was once a girl who was a little overweight and whose front teeth stuck out.”

Atwood points out the idea of good and bad in the story. Cinderella’s stepmother was considered a bad person. She questions what if it was her stepfather would he be considered a bad person? This criticism stuck out the most too me because as a women we are always given a negative image, whether it double standards or just trying to be as good as the guys. I agree with all of Margaret’s criticisms. Some may believe she is taking the innocents out of a classic tale but her ideas are defiantly something to think about .