On Teatime With Spinsters and Drowning Traditions

by Damaris Lliso

And Iā€™ll tell you this much, the only reason why Iā€™d ever go down to this rotting town full of the prim living past their prime is because I need to get away.

Chased out of town by some rabble-rousers who had it out for me, I swear, nothing ever stays quiet, even in a big city like Baltimore. Disproportionate retribution is what it wasā€”get into a few disagreements, a shouting match here and there, he said this and I did what? And suddenly they see it fit to back me into a corner so deep I had no choice but to turn my whole damn life upside down.

So now Iā€™m here past the border separating us from them. It was well known to everyone that I never thought much of the folks down south, but hell, I figure they wouldnā€™t think much of me either, not with my skin or my mannerisms or my family filled to the brim with Union vets. Canā€™t help who I am, and if they refuse to see past that then I can give them just the same. But letā€™s look at the positives: at least I managed to find work.

So Iā€™m not expecting much. Iā€™ll get what I get. I just came into town yesterday, and I still havenā€™t been out to see much. Donā€™t quite care to, only problem is work starts the day after tomorrow and I hardly know where the hell I am. Apparently where Iā€™m to meet the others isnā€™t too far from where Iā€™m staying now, but I know I gotta get to exploring this place sooner or later. Iā€™d rather later, but Iā€™ll do it now.

The world is damn bright outside, and mighty hot. The roads are dusty and hazy, enough to make a perfectly well man go blind, but I suppose Iā€™m here to fix that now, arenā€™t I? Paving the roads and such. They donā€™t even have paved roads here! But Iā€™m walking down now and folks are still giving me the eye. A few of them nod in acknowledgement and I nod back, but all the same, I have yet to feel too welcome. Beinā€™ looked down upon by folks who ainā€™t even got their roads paved, what a trip.

As I walk along, the road starts emptying out. Up in the distance thereā€™s this big house you can tell once belonged to someone great, someone whose wealth was built upon the backs of others. I get closer and I see thereā€™s this woman sitting up on the porch, all alone, looking out into nothinā€™ā€¦ or maybe not, maybe sheā€™s seeing it all. Who knows, Iā€™m not inside her head.

But mother of God, is she a beaut. Gorgeous skin, wavy chestnut colored hair and a figure to die for, and Iā€™m wondering wow, does she have a husband? But I already know the answer to that one, cause looker or not, itā€™s obvious sheā€™s just past her prime, maybe around her early thirties or so. Northern girls marry youngā€”Southern belles, even younger. Sheā€™s probably already popped out a few kids. Sheā€™s probably on that porch right now waiting for her husband to come home from work. Sheā€™s probably got a life wound up so tight that she wouldnā€™t ever give someone like me a second glance.

But it fees like hours that Iā€™ve been starting at her like this, and occasionally sheā€™ll turn her head up towards the sky and her lips will move, almost like sheā€™s mumbling up something towards the sky. She bats her eyes like sheā€™s half asleep, like her world is a dream and all of us, weā€™re nothing more that whatā€™s in it. Her long, bony fingers reach up and she touches her collarbone real delicate. The wind rushes past her.

And sheā€™s looking at me. Sheā€™s looking at me and past me and she smiles in that dreamy way of hers. She drags her fingers through her hair.

Man, oh man, this broad. Sheā€™ll be the end of me, mark my words.

Iā€™ll admit it. I was wrong.

This town is a few types of alright! Everyone here knows everybody else and after work, they all love to follow me down to the bar. And all I gotta do to keep all eyes on me is start reminiscing about Baltimore. North or not, these are the types of folks you can tell have never been anywhere. They love hearing my stories.

Especially the younger guys! They crowd around me and hang off my every word, and some of them I can swear get a little too close, if you get what I mean. Not that I have any moral objections, but thatā€™s what got me in trouble in the first place. When I came down here I told myself, as much as I would hate it, that Iā€™d have to leave that life in another place and time. Well, they ainā€™t makinā€™ it easy, Iā€™ll tell you that much.

So anytime one of those guys comes too close for comfort, I start thinking about that woman on the porch. Iā€™ve asked around, and apparently her name is Emily. From what Iā€™ve been told, she is as old as she looks, but joy oā€™ joy! sheā€™s never been married. Her old man died a couple of years ago, but while he was still alive, he didnā€™t let anyone so much as look at his daughter, let alone marry her. I figure her to still be a virgin, still filled with girlhood dreams. Seeing as sheā€™s all alone in that huge house of hers, sheā€™s probably been aching for some man to come and sweep her off her feet. Iā€™ve come across spinsters before, and Iā€™ll tell you, theyā€™re all the same.

So I leave her roses. Every night, late enough so that she has to be asleep, I sneak right on up and tape one to her door. I donā€™t know why I do it. I canā€™t be this girlā€™s savior. Iā€™ll never be the marrying type. But it canā€™t hurt to bring a little sunshine into someoneā€™s life, right?

Tonight feels different.

I canā€™t quite put my finger on it, but somethingā€™s off. The air feels different, not the same as always, and Iā€™m trying to write it off but somehow, I just canā€™t. All day itā€™s been like this. Maybe I just stood out too late last night. Yeah, that must be it. Maybe all I need it some rest. I tell the boys down at the bar that Iā€™m leavinā€™ early.

No, Homer, no. Donā€™t go, my temptations say.

But I tell ā€˜em, no boys, I gotta go. They all look so disappointed, but I try and ignore it. This creeping feeling, itā€™s got a grip on me, and I swear if I donā€™t get some peace from it soon Iā€™m likely to start screaming and crashinā€™ around like a madman. Sure, theyā€™d probably just write it off as me being a silly Northerner, but why would I willingly debase my region like that?

So I leave. I start walkin towards the direction of my place when I remember, damn. Emily. I gota leave a rose for her. Iā€™ve made a habit of leaving her one every night for the past few weeks and if I stop, even for tonight only, I know itā€™ll shatter her little heart. This is probably the most attention sheā€™s gotten from a man in her whole life. I canā€™t just screw her over by now coming through.

I turn back around and start walking towards Emilyā€™s house. The roads are dark and empty, and I can hardly see past my own two feet. I narrow my eyes, try to hone in my senses.

Iā€™m getting close to that one house I always steal my roses from. This older widow with her little lady garden, she never even notices a thing. What she doesnā€™t know canā€™t hurt her, right? As Iā€™m walking past, I snatch up a rose, never breaking stride. The thorns dig into my hand a little, but I ignore it.

Iā€™m getting close to Emilyā€™s door. Everythingā€™s all dark, all her lights are out. It ainā€™t even past 10 and sheā€™s already asleep. Spinsters, sheesh. I get up to the front of her house and, since I got no tape with me, I pick up the doorknocker real gentle and place the rose there. I turn on my heel to leave.

ā€œYouā€™re early tonight.ā€

Damn, I nearly jump out of my skin at the sound of that. I turn my head up to where the sound came and thereā€™s Emily, sticking her head out the window, leaning up against the frame.

She knew all along. She knew the whole damn time and wow, thatā€™s as romantic as it is creepy.

I open my mouth, but no words come out. That creepinā€™ feeling is stronger than ever. I think she may be smiling.

ā€œWould you like some tea?ā€ she waits a moment for me to respond, before deciding for me. ā€œIā€™ll have Tobe make you some tea.ā€

ā€œYour husband?ā€ I ask, all stupid. I know damn well sheā€™s never been married, whyā€™d I ask that? But these southern broads, you know, they all have secret lives on the down low. Tobe could be her secret lover-man or something. But I couldnā€™t even get away with it up in the city; sheā€™d have to have some backbreaking skill to hide something like that in a place like this.

Despite my speculation, I can almost feel her shaking her head. ā€œHeā€™s the help.ā€

Heā€™s the help? Heā€™s the help! Joy oā€™ joy!

ā€œGive me a moment, Iā€™ll be right down,ā€ she says.

Spinsters. How desperate can you get?

Emily is such a trip.

Silk hiding steel, thatā€™s what she is. One hundred percent. She makes it a point not to hide what weā€™ve got goinā€™ on, doesnā€™t give any types of damns over it. Every Sunday, we go around town together and this is her, holding her head up high, her nose pointed up in the air like sheā€™s looking down on everyone else instead of the other way around. I see the way folks look at us. Seeing us together, they canā€™t hardly stand it.

The boys down at work and at the bar, they ask me:

ā€œWhat you doing with that old spinster, anyway?ā€

ā€œDonā€™t you know how strange she is?ā€

ā€œThereā€™s a reason why sheā€™s alone.ā€

And I tell ā€˜em, none of your business, I know, and because her old man wouldnā€™t entertain the notion of his little girl growing up. Is that all, orā€¦?

I know people talk to her, too, whisper in her ear even worse about me. She never wants to tell me exactly what they say to her, but what she fails to realize is Iā€™m savvier than I let on. I know damn well what they say, that no matter which way they word it, it all leads back to the same deal: Iā€™m from another world, and Iā€™m no good for her. She doesnā€™t care, and hell, the idea of people talking about me doesnā€™t quite make me as mad as it should.

I guess you could say sheā€™s my woman now. Always wanted one of those. I always gotta remind myself, women are special and they need a different type of treatment; I canā€™t go treating her like a man, it ainā€™t right.

But I swear, she sure does treat me like a man would treat his broad. Sometimes. At least when it comes to all the gifts she gives me. I stole roses for her, and in return she gives me a buggy, along with a bunch of other things I could never hope to afford on my own. She tells me not to worry about it.

ā€œMoney is no object,ā€ she tells me, with a wink. Her saying that makes me all warm and gets me riled up at the same time, itā€™s the queerest thing.Ā  Everything about her makes me topsy-turvy!

What gets to me the most is that she never wants me to leave.

Time marches on, and every day she gets more and more clingy. First, it started off with our Sunday drives: she told me she just wasnā€™t satisfied with only seeing me once a week anymore. To satisfy her, I started skipping out on going to the bar a few times a week so I could go visit her instead. But then a few times a week turned into every loving day of my goddamned life, and when it comes time for me to leave she yells at me to stay, stay, stay, sheā€™ll miss me too much! I end up sleeping over more often than not, but then when I try and bed her she says no, no, sheā€™s not like that. And thatā€™s when I feel like throwing myself on the floor in frustration because this broad wants to have it her way, always.

She doesnā€™t seem to realize that I have a life of my own, too. Ainā€™t like we married. Iā€™m starting to think I might wanna leave, but something inside me whispers, you better not.

I may be in a bit over my head.

I go over to Emilyā€™s, like always, but today is different. Sheā€™s leaning against the door, her pretty little mouth twisted up into a bitter frown, and right soon as I get up to her she spares all greetings and says, ā€œYou mustnā€™t come visit me for the next three days.ā€

Joy oā€™ joy! I finally get a break!

She explains further. ā€œA few of my relatives will be visiting me, and I donā€™t want them seeing you here. If you think the town thinks ill of you for seeing me, ha! You donā€™t want to know how these women will view you.ā€

She keeps talking, but Iā€™m already thinking of how Iā€™m gonna spend these next few days off.

ā€œThe pavement gig is almost doneā€¦ā€ one of the boyā€™s grunts my way.

He keeps on talking, but I barely hear him. Todayā€™s the last day of my vacation, and after two days prowlinā€™ around town, chasing skirts, they decided we should take it slow on this last day. I suggested we go fishing, something I havenā€™t gotten to do since I was a boy. My old man used to take me. He made his living off of fishing, and thinking back Iā€™m sure he was sick of the water and of tryinā€™ to catch those damn things, but he always made time to take me out to his worksite whenever he had the odd day off. Weā€™d wake up at three in the morning, get all our supplies up and ready, and then weā€™d spend the whole day out on the open water. And on these trips, weā€™d take the opportunity to bond and talk about life and its meaning and ā€˜why are we hereā€™ and all that garbage that my lifeā€™s since run out of room for. He made all that nonsense seem so important.

When I wasnā€™t no older than fourteen years old, he got into a physical scuffle with one of the guys he worked with, and the bastard knocked my pops one good on the side of the head, rendering him immobile. And thenā€”thenā€”the son of a bitch couldnā€™t just leave it at that. He pushed him over the side of the boat. My old man couldnā€™t swim back to shore. They never found his body.

I wonder what it was like for him, drowning. He had to have seen the reaper coming, had to have known he couldnā€™t get out of it this time. He mustā€™ve been terrified.

ā€œYou listening, Homer?ā€

ā€œWhatā€™d you say?ā€

ā€œSaid the pavement job is almost done. Where you headed off to after this?ā€

ā€œDonā€™t be stupid,ā€ another one of the boys answers. ā€œHeā€™s gettingā€™ hitched with Emily ā€˜soon as the job is done, ainā€™t ya! Move into that olā€™ haunted mansion of hers!ā€ he slaps my knee all jolly-like, and it takes everything in my heart, soul and mind not to punch him in the throat.

ā€œBe quiet,ā€ I mumble instead.

ā€œWhatā€™s the matter? You arenā€™t thinking about leaving olā€™ Emily, are you?ā€

ā€œPerhaps heā€™s thinking of taking her up to Baltimore.ā€

I shake my head. ā€œIā€™m ainā€™t goinā€™ back to Baltimore.ā€

ā€œNever?ā€

ā€œNever.ā€ I sigh and pinch the bridge of my nose. ā€œKeep this between us, alright? Emily isā€¦ God in heaven, how do I word this? Sheā€™sā€”ā€œ

ā€œToo clingy?ā€

ā€œDriving you bonkers?ā€

ā€œClinically insane?ā€

ā€œTries to murder you every time you try anā€™ leave ā€˜er house?ā€

ā€œCome now, boys,ā€ I grin, ā€œI ainā€™t dead yet.ā€

ā€œIf sheā€™s really makinā€™ you feel so down, just dump ā€˜er!ā€

You better not.

ā€œThatā€™s right. You arenā€™t married, you donā€™t need to forsake your entire life for her. The decision is yours, whether or not to continue this relationship.ā€

No, itā€™s not.

I shake my instincts away. ā€œYouā€™re right.ā€ I spit into the water. ā€œI donā€™t owe Emily a damn thing!ā€
One of the boys lets out this sad, ornery sounding laugh. ā€œYou do owe her one thing. You ought to at least break up with her properly, and give her a decent goodbye.ā€

I mull it over in my head. I proper breakup, a decent goodbye. I shrug. ā€œSure, why the hell not?ā€

Youā€™re going to wish you hadnā€™t done that.

Iā€™m walking up to Emilyā€™s front door, and Iā€™m expecting to have to knock like I always do, like any decent man living in a sane world, when all of a sudden Emily comes rushing out. Broad nearly tackles me down with her bear-strength hug of death.

ā€œHomer!ā€ she cries out, all dramatic. ā€œI missed you!ā€

I pat her on the back. The spinster ainā€™t gonna make this one easy on me.

She drags me inside, leads me on and on until weā€™re in the living room. We sit down on one of the couches.

ā€œTobe! Tobe!ā€ her man-servant comes shufflinā€™ on in. ā€œBring us some tea, will you? And brew Homerā€™s with the special blend I made for him.ā€

ā€œRight away, Miss Grierson.ā€

I raise an eyebrow. ā€œSpecial blend?ā€

She chuckles and waves me off a bit. ā€œI remember how you told me your back was aching, so I bought some special herbs for you from the market. I donā€™t want to see you in pain, ever.ā€

Oh, wow.

She gives me a quick peck on the lips. ā€œHow did you spend the three days we were separated? Counting down the minutes, as I was?ā€

I try and smile. I know it must look painful from her end. ā€œI tried to occupy my mind. Spent some time with the boys and whatnotā€¦ā€

She frowned, and touched my shoulder. ā€œAre you alright? Something on your mind?ā€

I take a deep breathā€”

You. Better. Not.

ā€œEmily, myā€¦ my work here is almost doneā€¦ā€
She nods. ā€œIā€™m aware.ā€

ā€œAnd you know how it is for men like me. Once the job is done, I gotta get goinā€™ to the next work site.ā€

ā€œI know. Soā€¦ā€ she took a look around. ā€œI suppose Iā€™ll be able to carry a few of my things with me, perhaps sell the rest.ā€ She looked back at me. ā€œDo you have at least a general idea of where weā€™ll be headed?ā€

ā€œWhat.ā€

ā€œIā€™ll need to let my relatives know,ā€ she goes on, like her entire plan is anywhere near okay. ā€œTheyā€™ll most likely disown me, but itā€™ll be alright so long as weā€™re togethā€”.ā€

ā€œEmily!ā€ I shout. She stops talking, and now sheā€™s looking at me with those eyes of hers. Damn, damn, damn. ā€œYou ainā€™t cominā€™ with me. Iā€™m going alone. Thisā€¦ is where the road ends, for you and me.ā€

Her bottom lip quivers a little. ā€œPlease donā€™t,ā€ she whispers.

ā€œDonā€™t make this any harder than itā€™s gotta be.ā€

ā€œI want to marry you. I want to be with you forever.ā€

ā€œEmily, I ainā€™t the marrying type. I canā€™t be your savior. You gotta let me go, for both our sakes.ā€

She looks at me for a long time; it feels like hours and hours. Her eyes narrow, just the tiniest bit. Sheā€™s looking at me and past me andā€¦

Tobe comes in with the tea. ā€œHereā€™s yours, Miss Grierson,ā€ he places her mug in front of her, then turns to me. ā€œAnd for you, Master Barron.ā€

ā€œThatā€™s alright,ā€ I tell him, getting up from my seat. ā€œI gotta get goinā€™ anyway.ā€

ā€œPlease, Homer! At leastā€¦ stay with me these last few moments. One final cup of tea.ā€

Run run run run run run run ruā€”

ā€œOkay. Just one.ā€

She smiles in that sweet, wide way of hers and it almost makes me regret what I just did. But I tell myself, I did it for me. I own my life; I have the final say in what happens in it.

I take a sip. Itā€™s bitter as hell. My lips pucker up and Emily laughs, despite the situation.

ā€œDrink it all, sweetie.ā€ Who in the world ever called their ex sweetie? ā€œThe herbalist told me the faster itā€™s consumed, the stronger the effect.ā€

ā€œI never heard anything like that.ā€

ā€œTrust me.ā€

I think about it. Trust her? Do I trust Emily? She may be clingy and strange as hell, but the girl never did anything that really sent me over the edge. I put the mug to my lips and take two large gulps, swallowing them down before the taste can get to me. She smiles and nods. Go on, go on.

Youā€™ll get what you get.

Even as Iā€™m finishing the tea, Iā€™m startinā€™ to feel a little off. Itā€™s different from the creeping feelingā€¦ no, no, this time, the world is definitely spinning.

I think Emily might be saying something, I can hear the sound of her voice but I canā€™t make outā€¦ almostā€¦ not quite. I try and take a step forward, heading for the door. If I can make it to the door, Iā€™ve made it outside, and from there I can go anywhere. My life is mine. My life isā€”

I stumble forward and fall straight on my face. Emily is laughing, that I donā€™t need words for that. Thereā€™s something different about her voice now. Itā€™s higher than usual, way higher but more sinister. Almost squeaky. Wholly demonic.

I try and take a deep breath but woah, all I can feel is a rushing gurgle running through my chest. I take in about half the amount of air I need. I try again, and itā€™s even harder, so I cough to get out whateverā€™s got itself stuck in my chest. Is this what it feels like to drown? My visionā€™s gone real blurry but I can still make out the bright, bright red of what comes out of my mouth. I try again. No improvement.

Someone turns me onto my back. I can make out her outline. Tall and willowy, with her gorgeous skin and wavy chestnut hair and a smile that could rip the skin off any living man. She cackles. Makes the same sound and jerking movement over and over and over and over and itā€™s like my brain is a record gone broke. I try and scream, but all that comes out of my mouth is more of that warm liquid I know with all my soul is a bright ruby red. It trickles down the side of my cheek.

Was it worth it?

Another figure comes into my line of vision. Tobe. He takes my arms and starts dragging me away, past the hallway. I turn my head to the side, and thereā€™s the door. Itā€™s closed.

Youā€™ll never know.

William Faukner’s ā€œA Rose for Emilyā€ tells the story of a young southern woman in the early 20th century who, while leading a rather peculiar life, murders the man that she loves and keeps his body in her home for more than 40 years, in order to keep him with her forever. The story is told through the rarely used 2nd person narration (implied to be the collective voice of the community in which the woman lives). And while this offers a unique perspective to how the events of the story play out, it leaves just as many questions as it does answers, concerning both the titular Emily and Homer (the man that she murders). In order to shed some light on the two, for my retelling I chose to shift the narration from 2nd person objective to 1st person, from Homer Barronā€™s point of view. Though the original story offers the perspective of the townspeople and sheds some light on what the opinion of the group can drive a young woman to do, this retelling provides both a possible explanation as to why Emily did what she did, as well as an insight into the relationship which existed between Emily and Homer.

Though the works differ in a number of ways, they both tie together similarly in a few key elements. One being the presence of dust: Emilyā€™s home is described as being close off and dank ā€œā€¦they could see that the leather was cracked; and when they sat down, a faint dust rose sluggishly about their thighsā€ (Faukner); in the retelling, Homer observes that a layer of dust seems to have settled upon the entire town ā€œThe roads are dusty and hazy, enough to make a perfectly well man go blindā€¦ā€. This transforms the house into a microcosm of the town at large. Emilyā€™s home is dark, dank, dusty, and reeking of decay, while the town itself is not much better (though, the townspeople like to believe the contrary). Another example in which the retelling illuminates a specific detail of the original can be seen in the (rather ambiguous) line regarding Homers perceived preferences: ā€œā€¦Homer himself had remarkedā€”he liked men,ā€(Faulkner) which, though a modern lenses, hints to a sexual preference for the same gender. However, considering the time period in which the original was written, the line can be just as easily interpreted to mean that Homer simply preferred the plutonic companionship of men. Through my retelling, I chose to interpret the line through a modern lenses, not to disregard Faulknerā€™s likely intention, but to bring forth a possible explanation as to why Homer is in the south in the first place: ā€œEspecially the younger guys! They crowd around me and hang off my every word, and some of them I can swear get a little too close, if you get what I mean. Not that I have any moral objections, but thatā€™s what got me in trouble in the first place.ā€, the line implying that he did indeed pursue relationships with men, but was discovered and chased away from his community. One more important instance in which both the original and the retelling are the same comes from the buggy that Emily and Homer drive around in on Sundaysā€™. In the original, not much is said about it, but because the retelling is from Homers perspective, a possible explanation can be offered: ā€œI stole roses for her, and in return she gives me a buggyā€. This makes sense, as Homer, a day laborer and implied drifter, most likely wouldnā€™t have the money to splurge on much of anything, let alone a buggy.

Along with the similarities, several liberties have also been taken to allow for the story to be at itā€™s most believable. One such instance is in how Homer and Emily first meet. It is never explicitly revealed in the original, because the style of narration prevents it. However, now from Homerā€™s point of view, the narrator can say how they met with the utmost certainty ā€œso I leave her roses. Every night, late enough so that she has to be asleep, I sneak right on up and tape one to her doorā€¦ I turn my head up to where the sound came and thereā€™s Emily, sticking her head out the window, leaning up against the frame. She knew all along.ā€ This scenario not only provides a possibility, but it also ties back in to the title of the story, adding just a but more to an already symbolically-packed title. Another instance in which the retelling takes some liberties is in Homer describing the way in which his father died: ā€œHe pushed him over the side of the boat. My old man couldnā€™t swim back to shore; he died.ā€ Though Homers father isnā€™t mentioned in the original story at all and therefore has no significance in it, I wanted to tie his fatherā€™s death back to his own, as they both do end up drowning (the father out at sea, the son in his own blood). And one last significant liberty which is taken the ā€œvoicesā€ which Homer hears, his ā€œintuitionā€ which serves to continuously warn him through the retelling (ā€œYou better notā€). The voices can be interpreted in any number of ways: theyā€™re Homerā€™s conscious speaking to him, they could be audio hallucinations, or they could be of supernatural origin. The voices are there to foreshadow Homerā€™s eventual demise.

Though both the original story ā€œA Rose for Emilyā€ provided a work of insight into the workings of a broken southern town past its prime, this retelling provides insight into the workings behind the story which was so greatly influenced by the whims of society. In my efforts to retell the story, I tried to maintain a level of believability, a way for the two stories to be connected in a plausible way. But I also sought to create a level of separation, so that in this retelling, a new dimension could be added to the story proper.