Course Requirements and Grading
Textbooks and Supplies: In lieu of a textbook, we will use online materials, as well as a novel. You will need to bring the following materials as appropriate to each class:
- Short stories, essays, and related materials available on our course site
- Beloved. Toni Morrison. 1987. New York: Vintage, 2004. ISBN 978-1400033416
- Access to a computer, the Internet, and a printer—most of our readings will be available online only—you are responsible for printing and bringing them.
- A college-level dictionary, such as the American Heritage Dictionary or a good online dictionary.
- A sturdy folder to hold your work and course handouts. Bring this to each class session.
- A notebook for class notes and reading notes.
Grading: Your course grade will be calculated based on the following percentages, which reflect the value of the entire project. Missing any component of an assignment will result in a lower grade:
- Essay #1: 10%
- Essay #2: 20%
- Midterm: 10%
- Final: 15%
- Homework and Blogging: 15%
- Attendance and Participation: 10%
- In-class writing and quizzes: 10%
- Presentations: 10%
Passing ENG 2001 is contingent on successfully completing all assignments and passing the final.