This semester has been a journey of obstacles and achievements and overall personal growth for me, especially in terms of reading, and overall learning. As I look back, I can see moments and projects that helped me grow.

One of the biggest changes I’ve noticed in myself is my ability to deeply understand texts. At the beginning, I would read just to get the main idea, sometimes missing the deeper meaning and arguments. But as the semester went on, I learned to read more carefully and think about what I was reading. For example, in Project 2, doing my research I came across Elizabeth Stone’s article, “How College Clubs Can Lead to Careers,” I didn’t try to just summarize it. I thought about how it related to my own experiences. This made my writing more meaningful and connected to the real world.

As a writer, I’ve learned to have a stronger voice and a clearer purpose in my writing. Early in the semester, my writing was too formal. Through different assignments, I’ve learned to balance being professional with being engaging. In my second project I talked about the importance of college clubs for career preparation. Initially, I lacked personal stories and real examples. My draft lacked a personal touch later, I included my experiences with the civil engineering club. This made my argument stronger and showed I could connect ideas to real experiences.

The skills and knowledge I’ve gained in this class can be used in many areas of my life. For example, being able to analyze and put together information will be very useful in my career. In Project 3, where I made a poster to promote the civil engineering club, I used these skills to create a clear and persuasive message. This experience will help me in future tasks, like creating marketing materials or presenting project ideas. I’ve also learned how important it is to adapt my writing for different audiences and purposes. In professional settings, I will need to tailor my messages to different people, whether it’s writing reports for coworkers or emails for clients. Assignment 3 taught me to think about my audience’s needs and make sure my communication is clear and effective.

One piece of work from ENG 1121 that I would highlight in my ePortfolio is Project 3. This project, where I created a poster to promote the civil engineering club, shows my ability to combine creativity with practical communication skills. The poster uses clear visuals and text to get its message across. This shows my ability to present information in an engaging way, a skill that is important in both academic and professional settings. The poster connects classroom learning with real world experiences. By including this project in my ePortfolio it would show my skills. It would be especially valuable for internship or job applications, as it shows my involvement in the field, communication skills, and ability to plan.

In conclusion, this semester has been a path of significant growth for me as a reader, writer, and student. I’ve learned to engage more deeply with texts, identify a stronger writing voice. The skills I’ve gained will be useful in my future academic wise and professional. Highlighting my work in Project 3 will showcase these abilities and my work ethic.