Prof. Rosen | ENG 1121-D438 | Spring 2024

reflection

Jayden Watson

Eng 1121

Jody R. Rosen

18 May 2024

English 1121 has truly been a game changer, in my journey providing me with an understanding of writing, critical thinking and effective communication. Looking back on my time in this course I can see how it has shaped my skills and perspectives as both a writer and a thinker. In this reflection I will delve into aspects of the course such as the hurdles I faced the abilities I acquired and the overall impact on my personal development. One of the obstacles I encountered in English 1121 was adjusting to the standards and requirements of university level writing. Unlike school where the focus was mainly on grammar and structure this course demanded a profound exploration of complex ideas and the articulation of well supported arguments. The first assignments were quite challenging as I grappled with organizing my thoughts and meeting the academic criteria. Nonetheless these challenges turned out to be learning opportunities. The feedback provided by my professor played a role in helping me identify areas for improvement. Through this process I came to understand that writing is a journey – drafts are not expected to be flawless but serve as stepping stones, towards refining and strengthening my arguments.

During the peer review sessions I found that getting feedback, from others was really helpful. It gave me perspectives on my work. Pointed out things I hadn’t thought about before. Working together like this created a sense of community. Made learning fun by tackling challenges as a team. In my English 1121 class I honed my thinking skills, which was a deal. The focus was on analyzing texts considering viewpoints and presenting thought out arguments. Through reading assignments and discussions I learned to question assumptions, assess evidence and make conclusions. This skill not boosted my writing. Also helped me handle complex issues in other subjects and in everyday situations. Another important skill I picked up was research proficiency. The class involved research based asks that taught me how to find, assess and include sources effectively. I got good at using databases spotting sources and avoiding plagiarism. This skill is crucial for maintaining the credibility of writing. Besides that being able to do research has broadened my knowledge in areas and deepened my appreciation, for arguments based on evidence. My writing style has definitely changed a lot throughout this course.

I’ve transitioned from using an rigid approach, to a nuanced and refined writing style. English 1121 has taught me the value of clarity, coherence and brevity in my writing. I have learned how to create thesis statements build paragraphs and utilize transitions effectively. Furthermore I’ve gained an understanding of my audiences needs. Adjusted my writing to align with their expectations and interests.

One of the lessons I’ve learned is the importance of revising my work. I now see writing as an evolving process that requires revisions for improvement. Through revising my writing I’ve honed my ability to identify weaknesses strengthen my arguments and elevate the quality of my work. This iterative approach has cultivated patience and attention to detail in me shaping my mindset towards achieving excellence than completion. In addition to enhancing my skills English 1121 has played a role in nurturing my personal development. It has bolstered my confidence both as a writer and as a communicator. The power to express ideas clearly and is empowering; it has emboldened me to engage actively in class discussions and assertively voice my opinions across various settings.

Moreover this course has deepened my appreciation, for literature and diverse viewpoints.

The assigned readings exposed me to genres, authors and cultural backgrounds expanding my knowledge and enhancing my understanding of perspectives. This exposure has enriched both my capacity and emotional depth helping me become a well rounded and empathetic person. English 1121 has played a role in my journey by equipping me with valuable skills and insights that go beyond the confines of the classroom. The obstacles I encountered and successfully navigated have bolstered my resilience and writing proficiency while the critical thinking, research abilities and writing skills I honed will be beneficial, in all my pursuits. The personal development I underwent has boosted my confidence and empathy levels preparing me to engage with the world effectively. Reflecting on this course fills me with gratitude, for the opportunities it offered and the personal growth it fostered. English 1121 not enhanced my performance but also sharpened my communication skills and critical thinking abilities. I am eager to apply these lessons moving forward as I build upon the foundation laid by this course.

1. jaywat

Hey Professor I thought the file uploaded but I’m going to guess It didn’t I will upload it when I wake up