Reflecting on the three projects I undertook this semester, I’ve learned a great deal about myself as a reader, writer, student, and community member. Each project challenged me in unique ways, allowing me to explore different aspects of learning and self-expression. 

In Project 1: Education Narrative, was a deep dive into my personal journey with language and literacy. I found myself deeply resonating with Howard Gardener’s perspective on storytelling and narrative ability. I discovered that my approach to reading and writing is heavily influenced by my background and experiences with language. My struggle with English as a second language, as highlighted in my analysis of Grant’s and Bunn’s work, underlined the importance of context and the challenges of adapting to a new linguistic environment. Grants  even exemplifies my very struggles in the paragraph following his procrastination experiment, “Once I did finish a draft, I put it away for three weeks. When I came back to it, I had enough distance to wonder, “What kind of idiot wrote this garbage?” and rewrote most of it.” Because he left his original free thoughts that were probably linearly connected in some way, or at least would have connected had he continued writing out the rest of his original thought-idea, he instead came back to something he had started but left halfway done.This project taught me resilience and the value of perseverance in overcoming language barriers.

In Project 2: Reflective Annotated Bibliography, I explored the impact of digital technology on mental health, particularly in educational contexts. The research process was enlightening, revealing the multifaceted nature of technology’s influence on students. I was also able to learn how to retrieve relevant data provided in the texts in order to back my hypothesis. “Before the start of the study, members of the research team were encouraged to write down their expectations regarding the findings and debate them within the team to elicit preconceptions and prejudiced ideas that could influence the analysis. In addition, data collection co-occurred with data transcription to help reveal areas of the data that required more exploration in subsequent interviews and raise awareness of the potential impact that researchers’ relationship with the research topic and participants could have on data collection and interpretation. During the study, frequent meetings were conducted to encourage reflection and debate on management and interview analysis.” (Understanding Mental Health Professionals’ Perspectives and Practices Regarding the Implementation of Digital Mental Health: Qualitative Study) Simply from this I can understand that this clinical study was being enforced to be as unbiased as it could possibly be. The participating members of both study and those conducting the study were encouraged to reflect as a group their findingsI learned to critically analyze sources, discerning biases, and extracting relevant information. This project improved my research skills and deepened my understanding of the complex relationship between technology and mental health.

In Project 3: Writing in a New Genre, creating a listicle about the drawbacks of technology in education allowed me to synthesize my learning in a concise, accessible format. It challenged me to present complex ideas simply and effectively. This project honed my ability to tailor content to specific audiences and purposes.

Throughout these projects, I’ve seen substantial growth in my capabilities as a reader and writer. I’ve become more analytical and empathetic, understanding the diverse perspectives and experiences that shape our interactions with text and technology. As a student, I’ve learned the importance of thorough research and critical thinking. In the community, these projects have made me more aware of the broader implications of our digital world, prompting me to consider the societal impact of my work.

Transferring these learnings to other aspects of my life, I now approach tasks with a more critical and empathic lens. Whether in college, professionally, or in my community, I am better equipped to analyze, synthesize, and communicate complex ideas effectively.

Reflecting on the goals set at the semester’s start, I believe I have met many of them, particularly in enhancing my analytical and communication skills. If I were to advise my past self, I would emphasize the importance of open-mindedness and resilience. Every challenge encountered is an opportunity for growth.

In summary, this semester has been transformative. The projects were not just academic exercises but journeys of self-discovery and skill development. They have prepared me to be a more thoughtful, skilled, and engaged member of my academic and broader communities.