Growing up I used to come home everyday day to see my sister at our kitchen table doing her homework. She would be working on her essays for English and sometimes her math homework. At the time she was in her 3rd year of high school and I was in elementary school. I always wondered what made her use this area to get her work done since the kitchen table was used for eating breakfast or dinner. Doing work at the kitchen table was always something that was normal in my household. I never understood why, untill I tried it out for myself.

As I progressed in my years at school I found that being at the kitchen table helped me to be more productive with my school work. While sitting at my kitchen table that is where I had the most creative ideas for my homework. Since I wasn’t surrounded by much distraction, I was able to clear my mind and that is when all the juicy ideas would start to flow. It was as if they flowed like a river. I was able to focus and get everything done at the kitchen table, versus trying to do work in my bed. When I was in the 9th grade I finally realized how important it was for me to do my school work at the kitchen table. Around this time COVID 19 had struck and it threw the world into a mandatory lockdown. As a result of this, school had to be transformed into remote learning and this is where procrastination was at its peak, especially for me.

Since remote learning was becoming the new normal for me I thought it was going to be a bit easier for me when it came to getting work done. Having the opportunity to do work from home. On your laptop. In your bed? I thought this was going to be a piece of cake. Unfortunately, I was wrong. Trying to get my school work done in bed has got to be the worst idea I have ever come up with. I was always fighting with myself, trying to encourage myself to get my work done. But that never worked.

During this time I found myself lacking in motivation to do anything, mainly doing homework. I had no interest in doing work because of the setting that I was in. Being in my room all the time played a big part in that. My room is my comfort place but sometimes there is a downside to it. In my room there isn’t much light so it is normally dark and being in a dark setting all the time can really impact your mindset. There were times when I was hit with waves of depression and that set me back due to being isolated from everyone and the world. This changed my mood and perspective on how I started seeing the world and people. Eventually these waves of depression started to have an effect on my school work. It was either I was turning in work late or I wasn’t doing it at all. At this point in time I knew that if I had work that needed to get done, I could no longer do it from the comfort of my room.

During 11th grade, I began to work at the table more. When I would get home from school everyday at 5, I would have my snack then I would sit right at the table and do my homework. In my house we have 3 floors and I live on the first floor and on each floor there is a long kitchen table. Normally I go on the 3rd floor and sit at the table to get my work done. I choose to sit here because it’s the most quiet and no one bothers me when I sit there at the table. I like this space. I am able to concentrate and I can think clearly with no distractions.

Now I know you are probably wondering why I found it so important to tell you about why working at the table has helped me so much, I guess that’s because I finally understood the lesson in all of this. Certain places that you might choose to do your work can have an impact on how much you get done and how well you do. Believe it or not. If there is one thing I know for sure, working around those friends that will make you laugh and those who could hold a conversation is probably not the best idea, especially if you know you have a ton of work that you need to do.

While writing this narrative, I found myself struggling with the very things that I had made mention of. I had no motivation or passion to finish this because of where I was surrounding myself. I tried to work on this narrative in my room and that brought me to a depressive state because of the lack of lighting and the energy in my room. I began to fall into a state of procrastination and I put this off for a while, But luckily I was able to find that motivation again and I successfully finished this narrative about how working at the kitchen table changed my ways in doing work. Could you guess the place where I finished?

The Kitchen Table.

The End.