Let’s work together to get everything done!

Finally, Week 15:

• Dates: Monday, 12/18-Wednesday, 12/20 (Wednesday, 12/13 is a Reading Day. Please consider joining our Reading Day Writing Lab via Zoom)
  • Meeting Info: This course meets in person for 100 minutes twice per week, Mondays and Wednesdays from 12:00-1:40pm, in Namm 602A. By the end of each week, I will post an agenda that will outline the next week’s work. It will include instructions for you and links to readings, discussion questions, and other work. We will work on developing community both in our classroom and in our online written community.
  • Last Day Info: If you would like feedback on your graded work, we can meet in person or via Zoom in our Final Day class, at our regular class time. If you have not submitted all of your work but intend to, we must meet to finalize a plan to submit all work. I will also hold student support hours at the regularly scheduled times, 11:20-12:00 and 1:40-2:00, and can be available in person or on Zoom via that same link.

Objectives

• to finish ENG 1101! That means also:
  • to catch up on any missing or late work and spend time revising Project 1, Project 2, and Project 3 to use as the basis for the Final Reflection and Portfolio.
  • To meet with me either in class or in student support hours to check in about your work.
  • To complete the Student Evaluation of Teaching that was sent to your City Tech email address.

To-Do This Week

Wednesday, 12/13: Reading Day (no classes)

Texts

• Use this Reading Day time to read anything you need to read to finish our class. This might include finding a quotation from one of our readings as you revise Project 1, or reading the instructions for our projects, or reading my comments on your projects as you revise.

Writing:

• Reading Day can be for writing, too! Keep working on finishing your Final Reflection and Portfolio, and on revising/finishing earlier projects to add to your portfolio and reflect on in your reflection.

In Class:

• There is no class for today, but I’m hosting a Reading Day Writing Lab via Zoom.
  • In the Reading Day Writing Lab, you can come and work silently, or ask questions out loud. We can meet privately in a breakout room as well.

Monday, 12/18: Conclusions

Texts:

• To help you prepare revisions for your Final Reflection and Portfolio, return to each of your projects for ENG 1101. For each, read through the instructions and your project. Then ask yourself some questions to help you consider how to revise your work (adapted from Prof. Carrie Hall, Director of First Year Writing at City Tech):
    • What do l do well in this project? (List one or more aspects.)
    • What is my main point? What is the “so what” of this project?
    • Who is my audience? Do I use the right language and tone to reach that audience?
    • What specific part(s) of what I wrote were a bit confusing? Why?
    • What specifically could I do to clarify the unclear parts of this writing?
    • What details, facts, or stories could I add to enhance the essay?
    • What specific detail(s) do not work could be cut from the essay  or could be moved within the essay for more clarity?

Writing:

• Follow instructions in the Week 15 Agenda and the Project 4: Final Reflection and Portfolio Assignment
  • Project 4: Final Reflection and Portfolio (including revised work) due
  • Submit any drafts that you want feedback on before class on Monday. I recommend you submit everything I haven’t yet seen any version of as early as possible so I can return it to you while you still have time to revise. If you want feedback on things you’re revising based on my comments, I’m happy to give more feedback about that as well.
  • Use these instructions for writing a post on the OpenLab if you’re not sure how to write a post. When you post your work, remember to choose the appropriate category (Project 1 Work, Project 2 Work, Project 3 Work, or Final Reflection and Portfolio Work). Also choose if you want your post to be public (anyone can see it) or private (only the two of us can see it).

In Class:

• We’ll use our class time to have a writing lab to finish any unfinished work, finalize any last drafts, ask and answer questions, get feedback, etc, so please consider bringing your laptop/tablet to class
  • Meet with me in class or in student support hours right after class if you have questions about anything (ENG 1101 work, registration, life, college, anything!)
  • do all the things
  • ask questions
  • write
  • revise
  • offer advice to your classmates
  • Finish!

Wednesday, 12/20: Conclusions

In Class:

• If you have finished all of your work, we can have a final conference during student support hours or class hours either in person or via this Final Day class Zoom for me to give you your grade and feedback or answer any questions you might have. Congratulations on finishing!
  • If you have not finished your work, we will need to have a conference in class to work out a plan. You can do it!
  • I will also hold student support hours at the regularly scheduled times, 11:20-12:00 and 1:40-2:00, and can be available in person or on Zoom via that same link.

Have a healthy, safe, and restorative Winter Break! Spring semester begins on Thursday, January 25, 2024.

Photo credit: “Finish” by Tanakawho via Flickr CC BY-NC 2.0