Categories
Discussions Process

Jonathan Pallares-“Shitty First Drafts”

After reading “Shitty First Drafts” by Anne Lamott, my views on writing as a process has changed. In my writing process I like to take time during my first draft and gather ideas to make sure my draft is well put together, then tweak a few things for the second draft. In the article Lamott talks about her writing process and how she believes the first draft does not have to be great and you should write down the first things that come to your mind so you can take good ideas you’ve written down and use them in your second draft. I do not use any steps of Lamott’s process however, there are many beneficial steps she uses that I will include in my own writing to help improve, such as; writing down everything that comes to mind in my first draft. After reading “Shitty First Drafts”, I have come to the realization that this process is very beneficial in many ways like helping gather new ideas and being able to write freely. As of now my views on writing as a process has changed and with this new process I will be able to improve as a writer.