Categories
Discussions

How To Read Like A Writer by Mike Bunn- Nicholas Contrada

In the article How To Read Like a Writer by Mike Bunn, he states “you are already an author.” To anyone reading this article this can mean a couple of different things, it all depends on the reader themselves. It depends on their personality and the way the individual percepts things. The reader takes this statement and bases it off their everyday actions. For example a journalist would comprehend this as them making a news headline, and how the words they use grabs the attention of the reader, Mike Bunn considers them and author. Or a Quarterback in football calling a play. He uses his voice to come up with sentences that everyone on the field understands, and everyone knows what job they have to do during the play. Small things like this in our everyday lives fly right over our heads, but what we don’t realize is that these are all forms of authorship, and that’s what Mike Bunn means by this statement. We are all authors everyday by writing text messages, or emails or even writing an assignment such as this. I personally consider myself an author because I have two jobs. In my full time job I write a lot of emails all day to my boss or contractors, or even writing a summary of the days work for my boss to see what I accomplished that day. My other job is being a barber where I text my clients everyday making appointments and working around each others schedule so they can come and see me. It may not seem like a lot, but there’s a ton of effort on both sides of the phone trying to find the right time that works for one another. Sometimes I even send a group text out to all my clients giving my schedule for the week. I believe this will help me be an author throughout college because, writing emails and text like these all day help me be professional, they help me get my point across, and they help me get the job done, which I personally believe are three major keys to writing essays or assignments. One thing Bunn mentions in the article is “what are the advantages and disadvantages of starting with a quote (on page 73)” and he follows that up with what are some pros and cons of the quote? Or whos attention are you trying to grab? I like to use this in my writing, such as this essay because it gets the point across right away. It makes a statement, which you then follow up on grabbing the readers attention, and that’s something I plan on using this semester.