Categories
Unit 1

My History with Education – Jalin Slater

When I think about the history of my education I think about the course of my high school years. School was always a bit too easy for me. Up until my junior year of High school I coasted through class after class until it just seemed pointless. At some point I just stopped attending at all. Until one day a guidance counselor told me I had no where near enough credits to graduate and that I needed to go to a transfer school, that’ll help me get my credits faster. Being told that I needed to change schools was oddly enough the most embarrassing the thing that could’ve happened to me back then. In hindsight, it was actually the greatest thing that could’ve happened to me. If I hadn’t gone, I might have just dropped out of high school all together and would not be sitting here writing this. Up until changing schools, my view of education was a negative one. School was boring, people were annoying, teachers did not make class interesting. What changed my perspective was actually my first English teacher in the new school. She was a no nonsense kind of teacher who understood everything that kids my age were going through and saw that I kind of hated the new environment and took it upon herself to get to know me and make me feel comfortable. I can honestly say that she single-handedly made my educational experience positive. The majority of the teachers in that school were amazing but she stood out to me the most. A particular moment that I’m very fond of is when she introduced me to the large library in her classroom and let me pick a book and after I finished I would just keep reading and reading and reading. She instilled a deeper love of reading than I already had and made me actually think about the way I read similarly to How to read like a writer and she made us focus on writing everyday simply to get any ideas or feelings out like Shitty first drafts. I’m glad I had her as a teacher, she prepared me more for college in a year than my other school did in 8.