Categories
Unit 3 Weekly Assignments

Artist Statement (rough draft)

Developing my topic question was a challenge; I ponder different ideas. For example, I thought about the current situation at the border in Texas regarding families trying to enter the United States for refuge.  Undoubtedly, that would have been an interesting topic; however, we have thousands of people living in the United States who need shelter.  We classified them as homeless, but how did they get to this point.  Just think about it we have thousands of people trying to enter the United States for refuge and a better life; also, thousands of people living in the United States seek the same thing.  Another way to look at it, living in New York City, you may cross a homeless person on the train, park, or the store. Has it ever crossed your mind how did this person end up homeless?  It formulated the question: What are the contributing factors that generate homelessness in the United States?  In addition, I worked in a city shelter that provides services for the homeless population. I have noticed each year, the numbers of homelessness increase around New York City.  Homelessness is not just, and New York City issues this misfortune of homelessness affects many States.  This assignment presented the opportunity to explore some of the contributing factors to the cause of homelessness.   Most people will narrow homelessness down to job loss, wrong career decisions, or substance abuse.  Homelessness goes much deeper my research presented a variety of issues to the cause of homelessness.

My research proved an abundance of information; most was gear around opinions and an inclusive statement about the growing issue of homelessness.   The first article I selected was Homelessness, Poverty, and Social Exclusion by Marybeth, a professor at Vanderbilt University.  What is unique about this article it provides homelessness on a global scale.  The article proved homelessness data from different countries and displayed the United States as one of the highest homelessness rates.