Categories
Discussions Intro

Assignments – “How to Read Like a Writer” by Mike Bunn

When Mike Bunn states that “You are already an author.”, his speaking on how in your day to day life, whether it be writing an essay or writing a letter, you already made the choice and author has made in his writing. you are constantly making choices on how a pieces you’re writing should flow. Having written countless of essays throughout my educational path, I can agree with what he is saying. There’s where I purposely choose to included different writing strategies to send a point home, even with me knowing all of that, this is the first time I hear the term “reading like a writer”. Maybe subconsciously I have borrowed writing techniques that I’ve seen in book and article that I have read, but it was never something that I was actively looking out for. I personally feel like moving forward I will definitely be more aware of the writing strategies to borrow them and implement them in my own writing, one writing technique that Bunn use that I would like to implement in my writing is the way “broke” away from his own ideas to quote another person and made what said person it’s own part in the essay. Another thing in particular is how he separated his ideas into what I could describe as section and he titled them as well from what I can remember I never titled different section of my writing, it was always pick a topic write 3-5 paragraphs supporting your idea and end it there, so I do look forward to separating my idea into their own sections to make writing easier for my so I could focus on one idea per section, makes writing and reader at easier. Overall, I believe this was a great read to start off the semester, there’s definitely a lot of strategies that I will take with me moving forward in this class.