Professor Scanlan's OpenLab Course Site

Translation Essay Outline – Uriel Flores Garcia

Throughout, ā€œThe Complete Persepolisā€ by Marjane Satrapi and ā€œPersepolisā€, directed by Satrapi and Vincent Paronnaud, both demonstrate a traditional film style of Traditional Translation by keeping some of the traits that demonstrate the character development of Marjane throughout the graphic memoir and the animated film. Some key points Iā€™ll be adding are the following:

Terms from Five-Part Reading Tool

• For this section, I’ll be demonstrating CHARACTER because as a reader and viewer of both animated film and graphic memoirs, it is shown how Marjane develops over some time. The character’s Ethnicity and Race will also be added to mention the internal conflicts the has with herself.Ā 
  • Another thing Iā€™ll also be adding is the SETTING. The Setting in the film and graphic memoir demonstrates an important key role in the decisions and perspective the character has on it.

Film ConceptĀ 

• One of them will be Color, to demonstrate the mood and meaning of both film and graphic memoirs.
  • Another one is a Transition, to show how it goes from her perspective in society to her dreams or visions and other stuff. (Mostly, in the film)

Exchange ConceptĀ 

• One exchange concept is Sacrifice. Marjane sacrificed many things for her own needs to survive, but one of them is her identity. She decided to sacrifice her background identity to fit in with ā€œsocietyā€ outside Iran.Ā Ā 

ScenesĀ 

• For scenes, Iā€™ll be choosing a maximum of three. These will vary from her age and perspective.

1. Professor Sean Scanlan

Thanks for the outline.
    -Prof. Scanlan