Professor Scanlan's OpenLab Course Site

F-14

So far, My favorite chapter of ā€œThe complete Persepolisā€ is F-14. In this chapter the main character Marji, is seeing how the war is viewed by different people. Marji believes that her dad isnā€™t patriotic enough at one point throughout the chapter due to his low optimism about Marjiā€™s ideas. You can tell from reading the rest of the chapters that Marji is passionate about her country and you can see it even further in this chapter when sheā€™s asked to present a paper at school. But what I love the most about this chapter is the interaction between Marji and her friend Paradise at the end. Marji tells Paradise her dad was a hero and Paradise simply responds that she wishes he was alive instead of a hero. You can see in the drawing her facial expression changes, as if sheā€™s almost surprised her friend would say something like that. This is due to the fact that not everyone shares the same ideas as Marji about the war. While Marji Ā is passionate about the war, others in her life are less ecstatic about it. These two interactions are what makes F-14 my favorite chapter so far. Another reason why F-14 was so interesting to me is when the Iranian National Anthem started to play. The emotions depicted in the Illustration stood out to me because they represented the emotion of hope. When Marjiā€™s family heard the Anthem once again after it was banned, they began to feel hope for their country once again.

1. Professor Sean Scanlan

Eduardo,
    Thanks for your post. Good summary. One small thing–the girl’s name is Pardisse.
    -Prof. Scanlan