Professor Scanlan's OpenLab Course Site

To Build a Fire – kiara deolio

The story To Build a Fire by Jack London made me feel upset that the man didn’t think things through before making the trip. If he had the advice from the old man, he should have taken it and not traveled by himself and in that weather. The way the author used imagery in the story it made me feel like I was there with the guy feeling the cold weather and going through with him in the struggle of walking in the freezing cold. The story also made me feel suspense when he couldn’t get the fire started. I also knew it was too good to be true that he had gotten the fire going in the first try, I was waiting for something bad to happen especially since he had already started losing feeling in his hands once the snow fell and the fire went out, I knew he wasn’t going to make it by himself. I was hoping that by the end of the story someone would have saved him or found him after the dog howled. But I guess not stories have a happy ending, at least the dog lived even though the guy was being selfish and tried to kill it to save himself.

1. Professor Sean Scanlan

Kiara,
    Thanks for your post. Good effort to reveal your feelings based on the text.
    -Prof. Scanlan