Professor Scanlan's OpenLab Course Site

To Build A Fire

Having finished reading “To Build A Fire” by Jack London, I’ve had the most supernatural calm run over me. This effect is not a surprise. I am sitting in my insulated warm bedroom with a hot cup of coffee in my hand, while being immensely aware that just behind these thick concrete walls is a gruesome cold slap of reality. The type that makes one not wanna come out of their blanket covers. Such a juxtaposition makes me feel incredibly calm, relaxed, and happy.  Couple that with the reading about this very snowy and extreme environment, and the effect more than multiplies.

While the environment is a strong reason for me feeling the way I do, I also cannot help, but be captivated by the companionship between the man and the dog, or lack thereof. Dogs are some of my favorite animals, and I was drawn to the way the story was portrayed about this dog,  its relationship to the man, and how it all relates to the environment. Everything was oozing symbolism. Some subtle connections and concepts are being introduced that can only be deciphered if one sees past the face value of the story. For example, fire represents life and comfort, and the absence of fire represents death and despair. The dog represented as something half wolf could be a hint of being in the smack middle between primal instincts and domesticated dog.

In terms of the writing style, everything is portrayed in a very logical way, A to B to C. Paragraphs are all similar in size. And vocabulary usage is low. All that makes it a very easy read to follow. On top of that, its incredibly detail rich. The author wanted no detail to be left to the imagination. I could visualize and really put myself in this bizarre hostile world and experience the things that were being experienced. Good read. This imagery is really what produces the moods and effects that it does.

1. Professor Sean Scanlan

Aleks,
    Good post. I liked your emphasis on how it made you feel, symbols, and the writing style.
    -Prof. Scanlan