Professor Scanlan's OpenLab Course Site

Shanna’s Translation Essay Draft

Shanna Mohan

Professor Scanlan

ENG 2400

April 9th 2021

DRAFTED Translation Essay 

Introduction: Breaking down, “It had to be Murder” by Cornell Woolrich and the film adaptation, “Rear Window” by Alfred Hitchcock, both beautifully done pieces. With the film adaptation more or less a proper resemblance to the written original. Using Linda Cahir’s three types of literature to film translation technique, It’s difficult to say the film version falls into just one of the three categories. What would be more fitting is a combination of both, traditional and radical translations. This is because, traditionally, “Rear Window” stays on track of the Woolrich story, just with extra flair. However overall, it stays true to the original in terms of, storyline, setting and tone. On the other hand one can consider the radical aspect connected to this piece of work, which in this case would mean, the written text is quite reshaped in the film adaptation. Some details left out, added or completely changed. Parts of the film can be looked at as its own individual piece of work due to changes. Such as characters, mood and editing playing a role. Having some tweaks in the Film that steer off course from the written text would mean it falls into a mix of Traditional and Radical translation. 

• Add briefing of the film and story in the beginning, give quick context and run down of both

Body paragraph #1: 

Traditional aspect + Five part reading tool 

• Ending scene/catching Thorwald (Traditional in terms of following script, ending pretty much the same as written work. Same-ish outcome.)

• Spying on Thorwald/ the music that plays adds extra emphasis that written work does not capture. (Traditional in terms of stylistic choice that filmmaker saw as fitting) (But still ultimately same string of events playing out just like in text)

• Setting, symbols, and plot structure remains the same, just embellished. Mention lighting & non diegetic sound

Body paragraph #2: 

Radical aspect + Five part reading tool

• Pull piece of written work showing 1st person versus piece from the film showing 3rd person

• Mention mise-en-scene and MacGuffin

• Make character and point of view part of the discussion

Conclusion… i think:

• Justice of ending (Five part reading tool / Theme)

• Lessons of film and text version ^

• Wrap it back to translations, how both pieces tie into each other with the film adaptation although altered stays true to the result of the story.

• maybe enjoyment of both / why people enjoy it (just as like a closing line or two, we’ll see)

1. Shanna Mohan

I know this is a very Middle school type of way to draft, but honestly it works the best for me in terms of drafted work and getting my thoughts arranged in the right order. It’s basically me leaving little notes to myself.
    This comment is just my heads up if this doesn’t make sense or seems pretty strange.
    Still absolutely open to criticism and comments, I just can’t sit still to write the entire thing if it isn’t the final.

Thanks and Have a lovely weekend!! 🙂

2. Professor Sean Scanlan

Hi Shanna,

Please post a revised version of this essay to Blackboard as soon as possible.
    -Prof. Scanlan