Our City Tech OpenLab Home

Coffee house #3

The Traditional Research Paper Is Best

Alexandria Lockett argues that the internet is the main reason some students and professors get frustrated because it results in unoriginal research papers; which then lead to disappointing grades. Students are more likely to run to the search bar on google rather than going to the library simply because it easier and more convenient.

The internet changed the game behind creating research papers. Back then doing a research paper was more time consuming and was a physical activity. From making your way to the library and looking through hundreds of books to find the right one. Not to mention having to walk up flight of stairs and interacting with employees at the library for help. Nowadays all you have to do is google what your topic is and millions of suggestions will come your way.

In the article Alexandria Lockett claimed Wikipedia has a team of editors that adds informations for the sight and steps are being made to add Wikipedia to educational institutions. Sine elementary school almost all my teachers have told me never use Wikipedia as a source for assignments because of editors. This made me think of them in a different way

Wikipedia Research

Wikipedia defines research as a collection of data organized to have a deeper understanding of a topic. Also, the scientific study of research is called meta-research. Metascience increases the quality of scientific research while reducing waste.

The word “research”is derived from the middle french which it means “to go about seeking”. The scientific method I learned is research. Most students have learned and been involved in this. The scientific method is structured in the following; finding a topic or problem, hypothesis, gathering data, analysis of data, testing and conclusions.

Wikipedia breaks down different types of research whether it being artistic, historical or scientific. I would not have thought it was so complex. I really only associated research with science for the most part. This made me realize that it is much deeper than that.

1. Professor Sean Scanlan

Dawson,
    Thanks for this Coffeehouse. Excellent writing!
    -Prof. Scanlan