Our City Tech OpenLab Home

Kevon Ramphaul CoffeeHouse #2

A big problem I always had was taking money for granted. When your a kid growing up you never truly understand the value of money you think because you have it you can spend it but that is not the case. Summer of 2018 I had an addiction to bikes and blew all my money on getting the best parts for my bike and having designer shoes. I was so close to using up all of my money that I was barely able to help myself. Even though I was young I didn’t really like to rely on my parents to buy me anything because I was always an independent person because that was the way I was raised. I remember hanging out with my friends in the city and we just finished going to footlocker and I had spent most of my money on 2 pairs of sneakers, after my friends and I were done at footlocker we went to get food and I barely had enough money to buy food for myself so I made the most out of what I had and just ordered something that I had enough to spend on. After that day I went home and explained to my mom I wanted a job to help myself, and thats when I started to humble myself. During that summer my family and I went on vacation back to our home country Guyana, and going to a 3rd world country really opened my eyes to see that no one should take money for granted. I remember giving away my 2 pairs of designer shoes to a kid younger then me who was asking for money to buy food. This had immediately gave me flashbacks of when I was in the city. Of course the kid was given money by my mother to buy food but what made it so memorable was the genuine smile he had on his face but the look on my mothers face that was given to me was a sense of shock. My mother was furious with me with giving away expensive shoes but I told her why I had done so and she became happy with me. I was not only able to help a starving kid on the street by giving him shoes to wear and food to eat but I also was able to help humble myself. My mother and I are planning to go to India next for her birthday to help and give back not only are we helping the needy but we are also receiving blessings. I now invested my money into stocks and started trading with Robinhood. My new motto when spending money is, if I am putting money into this will I be getting anything out of it. That is the learning I have experienced which also taught me to humble myself.

1. Professor Sean Scanlan

An interesting post on education through money. Thanks.
    -Prof. Scanlan