Our City Tech OpenLab Home

Selena’s Coffeehouse #2

I have had many learning experiences in the past 5 years but the one that stands out to me the most is quite recent. In my senior year in high school I took a trigonometry class, I have always admired the intricacy of math but never dared to engaged with it and deal with it head on unless I absolutely had to. English and the other subjects acted as my crutches all the time that I fell short in math. I knew my position with math but I needed those credits so, I absolutely had to take the class.

I think it was fate. I had to have that learning experience and It might have been my teacher, my need or both but it was a revelation. I had learned more math in a class than I had learned in a semester and I was so proud of myself because I never knew I had it in me. I was now good at mathematics and like magic I fell in love with it. My teacher was amazing and played a big role in helping me find my love for math. At times when I was confused, he taught with such understanding that the knots in my brain would unravel and in an instant I’d get it. I chose to talk about this learning experience because it has impacted me the most. My passion for mathematics aided in my career planning and it is now a big part of my college experience. Although I had to take the class and was not really enthusiastic about the idea at first, I am glad I took it. I learned so much in such a short time and got to experience first hand the beauty of mathematics while having fun in the process.

1. Professor Sean Scanlan

Good memory and fine writing. Thanks.
    -Prof. Scanlan