Our City Tech OpenLab Home

Meaningful Personal Experience

Twelve o’clock is what the clock says as I’m walking my mom down the aisle. After 21 years i’d never thought i’d be the one to walk my mother down the aisle. I’m so nervous, I feel like I’m sweating through my suit. I look at my mother and she looks so beautiful. I’ve never been so happy for my mother. Growing up it was always just me, my little sister, and my mother. I’d never thought that there would be a day that we would welcome another person into our lives. But that day was here. That day a man stood at the altar waiting for me to give my mother away to him. Some part of me wanted to grab my mother and sister and just run away. I didn’t want to give away my mother. I didn’t even like sharing her with my little sister. But i couldn’t think like that. Today was my mother day. This is the day she has been waiting on for 47 years and I wasn’t gonna be the one to ruin it. I make it to the altar and give my mother a kiss. I whisper in her ear “I love you mommy”. Her soon to be husband then takes her from me and I go sit down in my seat. On the way to my seat it took everything in me not to cry. The day was just so beautiful it felt like nothing could ruin it. Watching my mother that day might have been the most beautiful thing I’ve seen. Not many know they dated once upon a time. And their relationship was serious. That man at the altar was my little sister’s biological father. They’ve been in love for over 18 years. Unfortunately they weren’t able to be together for those years. After 18 years the love my mother had for him never faded. After everything they’ve been through, they deserved to get married. And they finally got what they deserve. This is a meaningful personal experience to me because not many people in my family are married or getting married. Especially at 47 years old. That day instilled in my heart that love lasts if it’s real.

1. Professor Sean Scanlan

This is a great narrative. Powerful.
    -Prof. Scanlan