Our City Tech OpenLab Home

Jannatul Ferdaus

“When I Learned to Read” by Salvatore Scibona it was published in The New Yorker on June 13th and 20th 2011, its talks about how he struggled with his high school in his teenage age. How hard was the school for him He failed all of his classes. he works hard to flunk out of high school but he doesn’t know what he was reading and he didn’t know how to read. and he burned the report card in the KFC where he was working. He burned the report card because he failed all of his class .he loved working at KFC. He was saving money for his future.
Sometimes he breaks the addiction to the tube. and he spent the night in a derelict shed with mushrooms He hates reading. He just swings his eyes on the pages of the library books. because of the girl, he loved with the movie “Reading messed with my brain in an unaccountable it made me happy” 

He found his intellectual home at St.John’s college. A college where he was able to join in and it was too far from his hometown It was fifteen hundred miles from home. But he was happy to let him in And he made new friends he can meet new people, He wasn’t forced to read; there were no textbooks, no quizzes, no tests. Even though his parents couldn’t afford it he made it his mission to get there and be able to go somewhere where he felt comfortable.
“I feel like a vacation” this quote means  Salvatore trying to say he felt free he doesn’t have to read. He doesn’t have to take the test or quizzes “Reader. I married it.”The author tries to understand the Reader when he breaks out the door. Everything changes his life.

1. Dawson B. Lockhart

The thing i like most about your essay is that it smoothly gets straight to the point. Also, your ability to briefly summarize the article is amazing because it makes the reader a vivid idea about the article and what it is about. Additionally, I like the way you use evidence straight from the reading to back up your ideas. You did something very important that most people wont do, which is when you explained the quotes you pulled directly out the reading. Doing this verifies that you know what you are talking about and took your time while deciphering the text. Overall, i felt that this was a strong essay and summarize the article well. I am looking forward to reading more of your work.

Dawson Lockhart