Our City Tech OpenLab Home

Intellectual Home of Salvatore Scibona. Zarrina’s Coffeehouse #1.

The article “When I learned to read” by Salvatore Scibona which is published in The New Yorker, June 13&20,2011, describes about how study was given to him hard, and states, that he was failing all his classes and flunk out from the high school. One day when he had melancholic vanity, he burned out his report card at his job. He was working at KFC and he loved his job as dog loves “a carcass in a ditch”. Moreover, he wanted to get out of the state Ohio, therefore, he was working to save money for the future.

Also, Salvatore describes, that his house was very crowded and noisy, and television was turned on day and night. According to the article “when I learned to read” published in The New Yorker, June 13&20,2011, Salvatore hated to read, however, he was swinging his eyes over the pages of some library books.

While Salvatore was in early senior year, a girl in homeroom gave him a brochure that a college had sent her. After receiving that brochure his life changed totally toward the education. He loved St.John’s college and he described that in the college were no textbooks, no home works and everything was perfect however, his parents could not afford this expensive college. According to the article, which is written by Salvatore Scibone, he found his Intellectual home fifteen hundred miles from home and he said that “he would scrap everything to ask them let him in”.

“I felt like a vocation” Salvatore expressed his feelings in that way.

He started to learn Greek alphabet and read Iliad. Salvatore was working at construction and his body needed to read otherwise, his legs wore out by noon. In last years of study in St John’s college he found new friends, learned new languages, had lots of fun and was very happy with his new life and environment.

In conclusion Salvatore assume that his life before was totally different from his present life. He was a little sad boy who was shiftless, egoistical and dejected teenager. Everything was very bad and when strangers let him to enter school and showed him how to read. According to the article “When I learned to read” by Salvatore Scibona which is published in The New Yorker, June 13&20,2011, the author found his Intellectual Home at the college far away from his hometown.

1. Professor Sean Scanlan

Zarrina,
    Thanks for this first post. A fine job of summarizing the entire piece. I also appreciated the details you drew from Scibona’s rough high school career. Your conclusion was great–the college was truly his Intellectual Home.
    -Prof. Scanlan

2. Kevonrl11

I enjoyed reading this, I can see that two things you did were; taking your time to analyze the reading and taking note of the small details that were provided in the reading as well as making a detailed summary to help us understand your points as to why you believed Scibona’s intellectual home was St.Johns College. As readers it is important for us to take our time with our readings to fully understand what we are reading about because if we don’t understand what we have read then we are reading for no reason. That is why it is important for us to understand what we have read. Not only did you analyze the reading but you made a very informative summary to help us see your point of view as to why you found St. Johns a intellectual home for Scibona. Your a great writer, and thank you for helping me also gain more knowledge on why you chose St.John as the intellectual home for Scibona it was a great piece of feedback!